Breathing Technique

the body is an amazing thing and will adapt to whatever stresses placed on it, given enough time.

Reactions: CUbE
Definitely agree about needing to teach yourself control though; as a kid I remember seeing my mum have asthma attacks & thinking "Why is she breathing wrong & making it worse?", now if I get that type of attack I remember that & can usually just calm it down myself - wish I could switch that natural intuition back on!

I have asthma and you are right; it teaches you to control the muscle contractions and the breathing rate. I've been able to wheeze my way through a lot of activity that way. It's also what I see my kid doing when she is feeling overwhelmed or upset by a run; she starts breathing heavier and heavier, almost forcing a hyperventilation. I always let her know she can be in charge of when she breathes in and when she breathes out.

Reactions: dutchie53
I have asthma and you are right; it teaches you to control the muscle contractions and the breathing rate. I've been able to wheeze my way through a lot of activity that way. It's also what I see my kid doing when she is feeling overwhelmed or upset by a run; she starts breathing heavier and heavier, almost forcing a hyperventilation. I always let her know she can be in charge of when she breathes in and when she breathes out.
I luckily grew out of my asthma....not a fun feeling...you quickly forget that you are in control of your own breating when the panic sets in...its good practice not to freak out as that only makes it worse. Wrestling also taught me this....you can go a supprisingly long time without breathing if you manage to stay calm

Reactions: scedastic
I tried ear breathing but it kept blowing my ipod headphones out;) .

Well, it's very clear to me that you're not controlling your ear breathing very well. Keep practicing and one of this days you'll get it OR you can just take your earphones off;)

I tried ear breathing but it kept blowing my ipod headphones out;) .

Hahaha :)

Srsly there was a Chinese guy on TV here a couple days ago who literally could have done just that, no problem. The stunt he performed involved blowing up a swimming tube that was held on the bottom of a pool by a full case of beer. He blew air out his ear through a thin hose. He blew it up and it floated to the surface, beer and all. Totally bizarre!

I agree with the deep end of the controversy pool argument. I am too jaded to get into a debate over this issue , but I am happy to discuss it with anyone who wants to learn more. In martial Arts, breathing is one of the most important factor in gaining strength , power and balance. Even in boxing you breath through your nose.
As human we pick up bad habits very easily. How many people you know breath using their chest and not their stomach/diaphragm. But the little extra secret was in just using the Nasal passage. Something buteyko figured out too. He has also had amazing results with asthma patients and people with many other health disorders.
I believe other technique learnt from yoga, taichi etc...can be useful too.

I regularly practice martial arts on a punching bag ; nose breathing really seemed to help get deep diaphragmatic breaths. I've been focusing on breathing for a while (when I am disciplined); but was not aware that breathing purely through the nose was a common practice. Thanks for the post!

Well I'll be dipped. I was running a bit faster today, maybe 9mm pace, and looked down at my feet and noticed I was running in perfect 1-2-3-1-2 breathing rhythm, and then Jethro Tull's 5/4 Living in the Past came on in my head and it all made sense. I guess I'm a just breathe rhythmically sort of guy after all.
"Happy and I'm smiling, Run a mile to drink your water . . ."

Wow! I ran up my usual hill (about 1 mile); which is a rocky fire road. Simply smiling made a huge impact on my mindset. Each time I remembered to smile, it felt like a renewed energy came over my body and I could continue up the hill with less perceived effort. Awareness of my smile while running will definitely be a new practice for me; which will complement my existing practice of smiling while driving (so many scowls on the road today :(

Wow! I ran up my usual hill (about 1 mile); which is a rocky fire road. Simply smiling made a huge impact on my mindset. Each time I remembered to smile, it felt like a renewed energy came over my body and I could continue up the hill with less perceived effort. Awareness of my smile while running will definitely be a new practice for me; which will complement my existing practice of smiling while driving (so many scowls on the road today :(
I love those runs where I find myself spontaneously grinning like a total lunatic, but I am kind of glad I rarely see anyone!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7