BF running on msnbc

That's probably one of the

That's probably one of the best media interviews I've seen on the subject. I liked how they pretty much stuck to true barefoot running and the importance of developing your skill over time. There was hardly any mention of the "barefoot shoes" except by the girl that was seing the podiatrist.

The BRS was contacted by both

The BRS was contacted by both the New York Times and CBS Evening News with Katie Couric in the last few days. I hooked them up with people who could help them with their stories: AngieB took the New York Times, and John Durant took CBS. Both reporter and producer said there will be a Barefoot Runners Society plug in both. The New York Times copy will be released this Wednesday, and the CBS segment will air the Friday evening before the New York City Marathon. Stay tuned. :)

A couple of points about this

A couple of points about this segment. The podiatrist says she has problems with the idea of barefoot running, especially when her patients come to her complaining of problems with their feet [paraphrasing]. Then they show a girl who was seeing the same podiatrist complaining of pain in her foot, and mentions she's been running in "the barefoot running shoes" over the past few months. GIVE ME A BREAK! Can someone not pause the film right there and point out that running with "the barefoot running shoes" is NOT RUNNING BAREFOOT; THEREFORE, SHE IS NOT TREATING A BAREFOOT RUNNING-RELATED INJURY????!!!! HELLO!!!!

Sure she goes on to say that we should have proper training...and we are all for that, but then she says we should have our feet examined first to make sure we should be running barefoot, because we all have different types of feet, yaddie, yaddie, yaddie. BS. If you have high arches or low arches, if you pronate or supinate, barefoot running is a much better option than running with boat anchors WITH OR WITHOUT orthotics.

And nice film of one of Ken Bob's group runs, and good footage of Owen McCall, who's making a good name for himself and for barefoot running. Way to represent Owen! :)

Yeah - we all need to come

Yeah - we all need to come see her and pay her to check out our feet before deciding to run barefoot. I doubt she's even a runner - it's not mentioned in the article. Usually, if the podiatrist is a runner, the media will hook onto that because then the podiatrist has more expertise.

I caught the "barefoot

I caught the "barefoot running shoes" comment too. I'm glad they didn't focus on that so much though. Being new to this sport, I have done a lot of research and more than not, I come across articles about barefoot running that are 95% about running with "barefoot shoes" and only 5% about running barefoot.

A friend of mine at work bought some Vibram Sprints and started running in them immediately. He immediately fractured his foot and hasn't worn them since. His doctor told him that he should'nt wear those shoes and never attempt to run barefoot. I've tried to get him to come along with me, but he's leaning towards the anti-BFR folks now. I just wish we had the same size feet....I probably could've got his VFF's real cheap! :)

Wow!  Great job TJ!  This is

Wow! Great job TJ! This is so cool to see it all unfolding and be on the inside of it.

In another post somewhere I read that we are called trolls by a shod runner on a RW forum. I love it. I love how people lash out at what they don't understand and in doing so expose themselves. Troll on everyone!

Barefoot TJ wrote:The BRS was

Barefoot TJ said:
The BRS was contacted by both the New York Times and CBS Evening News with Katie Couric in the last few days. I hooked them up with people who could help them with their stories: AngieB took the New York Times, and John Durant took CBS.

Cool. It will be interesting to see if the point about barefoot NOT being the same as VFF's comes through. That would be a real advance in the whole discussion.

Exactly, Josh.  Trolls and

Exactly, Josh. Trolls and hobbits, Unite!

See Jeep, that's the reason I wish they would have concentrated more on "the barefoot running shoe" in this case, since they brought it up. And since they brought it up, they have the responsibility to tell the truth on the subject. It's NOT barefoot runners running to them in droves seeking help with their barefoot running-related injuries. There's just not that many of us out there...yet. That patient was not running barefoot; therefore she was minimally shod. It's so important that the media state people who are running in minimalist shoes are the ones flocking to them seeking medical attention, when that is the case. AND they should stress that it is just as important (if not more so) for runners to transition slowly to minimalist running just as it is for runners to transition to barefoot running. This is not to say that barefoot runners do not get injured. We do. We are not immune to injury. But let's call it as it is. Not fluff everything into the big barefoot running ball, just because that's what brings their readership/viewership numbers up.

I totally agree.  Barefoot

I totally agree. Barefoot running is just that....BARE FEET. If you're running in "barefoot shoes" you're not barefoot. I have yet to buy the VFF's and at this point, I probably never will. I'm glad I didn't too, because now I know that it is better to start off totally bare and develop your form before you try running in them. Plus, I'm sure I would be seen by more people that would just go out and buy the shoes rather than try running barefoot. Whenever I tell someone I run barefoot, the first question they ask me is usually, "did you get some of those barefoot shoes?". I'm quick to answer "nope, that's not barefoot", and then try to explain the difference.

Completely agree.

Completely agree.

Yeah, I get pretty pissed off

Yeah, I get pretty pissed off when people call vibrams "bare-foot shoes". It like having nudist clothing, it just wouldn't work. And I think as far as injuries go, its not necessarily that we're less likely to get injured, especially during the transition, its not magical. But when we do get injured we are aware of ourselves enough that we can change something so that we don't get injured again. Shod runners can either run through the pain or quit, but we actually have to option of FIXING the problem.

If we could get a major news network to make the distinction between Barefoot and Minimal I would be truly amazed. I'm also glad that I didn't buy Vibrams, because I don't really think I would be comfortable wearing them. I'll stick to my soles, and when shoes are required, flip flops or huaraches. I kinda doubt I'll ever find a pair of closed shoes that aren't miserable to wear now.

Precisely, Danjo.  Just being

Precisely, Danjo. Just being barefoot while running doesn't make us injury-proof, but because we are running barefoot, we are more quickly able to tell when injury is pending and make adjustments to correct it so we don't get injured. A shod runner, is deceptively conned (mentally and physically) into believing they are "protected" by all the cushioning and suppport their shoes give them, when in fact, the shoes are deafening the signals from their body.

And not only does the injury

And not only does the injury free idea make us look bad when people are injured (even though most of the people on this site run barefoot because they can't run in shoes without experienceng WAY more pain) but it also adds a sense of guilt to injury, which is ridiculous. When I'm stupid and scrape my toe on the ground I shouldn't feel ashamed and guilty, like I'm giving barefooting a bad name, or like you guys are gonna look down on me. When I get hurt the only thought that should go through my head is "Wow, that freaking hurts! I need to stop doing that!". I think that idea can be really hard on begginers too, because when they get hurt once they just assume that it must not be right for them, because they aren't instantly perfect.

It would be nice to de-emphasize the "injury-free" part and explain that we are able to actually learn from our injuries, and thats why we can run with less/no pain. Also, I think most people seriously under-estimate how much fun it is to run barefoot. And how easy it is. I'm pretty sure I'm not in shape at all anymore, but I can still go run a 5 mile without much trouble, because its so dang easy. (Hills kick my butt though, I can run up them, but I have to stop and walk at the top.)

Very profound insight for a

Very profound insight for a 16 year old, Danjo. I like that. I like intelligence and free thinking. It is so true, the guilt a barefoot runner is made to feel, when in fact, like you said, they should chalk it up to a learning experience. What do we learn when running in shoes? Not much. I have learned more about "running" while running barefoot than I had ever learned while running shod.

About the only thing

About the only thing I learned while running in shoes is that I really hate being injured, haha. I guess thats why I ended up here, so I could learn how to not over-do it.

And thank you TJ.

Being confined in shoes is

Being confined in shoes is just not comfortable for me period running or not. I have never found shoes comfortable. They always hurt my feet and ankles, but that's just me.

This is great.  I feel like

This is great. I feel like we are evolving as a group. Thanks Danjo for giving voice to that. Very profound indeed. I'm trying to figure out how to make pain on the outside of my knee go away and I was almost hesitant to mention it here.

I love Barefoot TJ's rant on

I love Barefoot TJ's rant on the podiatrists in that segment. The yaddie, yaddie, yaddie had me laughing so hard!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts