Best birthday weekend ever

Shacky

Barefooters
Jun 2, 2010
So yesterday (7-11) was my birthday. Since I don't like barhopping, parties, etc, I opted to sign up for a 50k instead which took place on the 9th. The Cuyamaca 3 Peaks, one of the more difficult 50ks in the SoCal area as it has you climb up and over 3 different mountains, in some solid heat.

Wore the Luna Originals along with my green Sport Kilt. Other than the crazy-ass 3rd peak we climbed which went from 5,000' to 6,500' via a rocky river bed, it was pretty fun. Stubbed my toe on one of the rocks in this area and got a nice blister and will be losing a toenail in a couple days from it but other than that I came out of it unscathed.

A few times people commented that I must be hardcore for tackling the course in sandals and I would guarentee them that my feet would be in much better shape after the race then theirs. And there were some nasty looking feet at the finish line. One guy even dropped out due to excessive blisters.

The cutoff for the race was 10hrs and I finished in 9:08. Not too shabby considering I stopped at a couple of creeks to soak my head and feet in order to cool my core temp. I also stopped by a horse ranch and asked a lady if I could use their hose to cool down and was thrilled when she said yes. Best 10 minute shower ever!

And to top things off, I entered a trail 10k the next morning and was able to finish it in 55 minutes. Had to walk 2 of the hills due to the quads threatening to give out on me but overall I was pretty happy with the time. Again I wore the Lunas which people thought was crazy for some reason.

Best birthday ever.

Happy belated b-day, Shacky! 

Happy belated b-day, Shacky! Sounds like the best way to spend it too! Just relaxing and taking it all in stride, even on the run!

7-11? I never knew we were

7-11? I never knew we were birthday bros!

Belated happy birthday to you! I feel like a wimp only having run 2 miles on mine yesterday, but then again last time we ran together you did the 5K with me in Grand Rapids as a warm up for your 25 K! And remember, this MI boy was colder than you're extreme southern Cal self at the 34 degree start.

You Navy guys sure ARE tough!

Thanks guys.  I used to tell

Thanks guys.

I used to tell myself that I always wanted to remain in half marathon shape. It appears that I can stay in 50k shape.

And LB - I thought the shared birthday was brought up back then. Maybe not. I'm old and the mind is slipping. Found out I share it with a member of my ultra group as well. And then an Aunt informed me that her son shares it as well. Popular date.

Might have been, my mind's

Might have been, my mind's slipping as well. But then again if we had 1000 people around three of us would all share the same birthday. Still cool though!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon