Berkshire (UK) Barefooter

Amigo

Barefooters
Dec 6, 2013
Hello,

I am new to the forum and fairly new to barefoot running (well VFFs - I think they are classed as minimalist?) and although I got my VFFs in January, I have only started to get motivated and find time in the last 6 weeks.

I am still taking it very slow (and I mean painstakingly slow 9 minutes per Km, (doing 4k this week)urugh...) as I am interval training (well walking and jogging off road/trails). I suffered for 3 years from bad shin splints and am determined to finally be rid. After several pairs of shoes and 6 months of physio failed to help, I picked up on the fact that my physio told me I was a forefoot striker and should be running heel-toe, when trying this didn't work and I got to the end of my NHS Physio allowance, I decided - why change how I naturally run? I think perhaps forefoot striking in motion control uber padded Asics may have been the start of it...

Anyway, so until 6 weeks ago I hadn't run for 18 months, this year I have been swimming a lot (currently 1mile 3 times a week) and cycling. I have done a triathlon before and loved it, but the shin splints were the reason I have not done any more, so my main aim for next year is to do some barefoot tri's, oh and my friend has roped me into a London to Brighton Cycle ride too...!

I really hope to do the Newbury Parkrun in the new year - when I really REALLY hope my legs will let me run a continuous 5k. I currently stop whenever I feel a niggle, but niggles in my shins are becoming less and less frequent. Unfortunately I strained (only slightly) a hamstring after swimming a couple of weeks ago, so that's slowed me down a bit for now!

Anyway, sorry for the essay! If you have read this far - thanks! :shy:
And it will be nice to speak to some other barefoot runners, as I currently know none! (I am also currently reading Born To Run and really enjoying it :) )

Welcome, Amigo!

Hola, guv'nor! Glad you've joined us, and you have come to the right place. I run in VFFs a lot, but my BF runs are always better. I'm an old soldier who's worn out my joints, and I always feel better after a BF run than after a VFF run, because running BF gives me better continuous feedback about my gait, my stride, my impact and my overall form. I'd urge you to try it whenever you can. It will really teach you how to run with the least damage to your body, and once you've got that form dialed into muscle memory, you can continue running in VFFs with much less degredation of that wonderful impact-minimizing form that shoes (even VFFs somewhat) mute and muffle. BF sounded crazy to me when I came to it after 25 years of long-striding heel striking in thick, pillowy shoes, but it works amazingly well for me. The docs said my only options were 1., quitting running, or 2., getting a right hip replacement. I like option 3 - BF/minimalist running - much better than either 1 or 2. Enjoy!

Reactions: Bare Lee and Amigo

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon