Barefootin' it on Discovery's Dual Survival (Friday, June 11 at 10:00 p.m. E/P)

Barefoot TJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2010
There's a show called Dual Survival coming up on Discovery (Friday, June 11 at 10:00 p.m. E/P). One of the "survivors" prefers to "survive" barefoot. Check it out...

nova-scotia-2.jpg

Shipwrecked - Nova Scotia: Even with freezing temperatures and snow on the ground, Cody basically sticks to his barefoot strategy. For this cold northern latitude he allows himself the luxury of wool socks but they need to be kept dry to work effectively. Even though Cody's feet are tough and well conditioned, they're still prone to frostbite if there's constant direct contact with ice and snow.

nova-scotia-3.jpg

Shipwrecked - Nova Scotia: Cody collects kelp that he can use as short strands of rope once it is braided to greatly increase its tensile strength.

new-zealand-1.jpg

Failed Ascent - New Zealand: Cody and Dave trek across a scree field during their descent from an 8,000 foot high plateau in New Zealand's Southern Alps Range. Their journey re-enacts the challenge of getting back down to civilization after a climbing mishap.

peru-1.jpg

Desert Breakdown - Peru: Cody and Dave size up the only survival tool they'll have in Peru's infamous "Valley of the Volcanoes" - a derelict VW bug.

Sounds interesting.  I'll

Sounds interesting. I'll have to set up the Tivo for this one.

I've thought for a long time

I've thought for a long time that it would be really cool if we had a barefoot running reality show on network TV featuring BKB, Rick, Todd, Julian, Alex, and of course, Jason. That would be so much fun.

BUMP for those who may be

BUMP for those who may be interested. Check the date and time.

Any one watch this?  The HD

Any one watch this? The HD looked beautiful on the BAT (Big-Ass TV)

Interesting different philosphies from the two. Ex-military vs the Hippy. One believes that the elements are the enemy that must be fought whereas the other thinks you should embrace it since Mother Nature is the boss.

Even their gathering of proteins differed. Cody gathered periwinkles, clams, and weeds along the shore, all non-moving food sources, whereas Dave preferred trying for mammals. Cody was more succesful early on but I like the deadfall traps that Dave rigged up. Very simple. Plus if I ever need to find a porcupine, I now know what to look for and how to kill/clean one. Dave did surprise me with the kill and his way of respecting the animal.

Cody is definitely a minimalist, choosing to go barefoot (socks) and shorts at all times. I love his outlook on life, trying to be in touch with the earth and mother nature, but wow, the guy takes it to the extreme. He's lived his life this way though so more power to him.

Very interesting show that I actually learned quite a bit from. Can't wait for the next one.

WELL POOH!  Here I was on the

WELL POOH! Here I was on the computer all night filling Chapter President positions, preparing articles for the news page, monitoring the forums, answering member's requests for help, etc., etc., etc., so I MISSED IT! Great report though Shacky. I would have to turn the channel everytime they slaugherted some poor critter though. I'm sure they will play it again.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7