Barefoot Transformation! Time lapse sequence shows foot changes after years of barefoot running..

Yes, thank you all-knowing,

Yes, thank you all-knowing, ever-insightful, Board, even of women's health issues. We know. It's called the Relaxin hormone, and with most women, when the hormone is no longer produced after delivery, the woman's hips AND feet go back to their normal size. Then there's the rest of us who are stuck with big feet.

Barefoot TJ wrote: Then

Barefoot TJ said:
Then there's the rest of us who are stuck with big feet.

The better to run barefoot with! Greater surface area can only lesson the load per square centimeter, right?

SA, know-it-all!

SA, know-it-all!

Hee.

Hee.

I've realized my feet must

I've realized my feet must have become bigger in the last year, since starting my barefoot experiment. Today I wore my rubber boots for the first time in a year, and I got that particular model because it was both wider in the forefoot and higher in the ankle area than most other models I've tried, and I have trouble putting them on now and my little toes rub on the outside. I didn't have those problems at all last summer. I can also see that my feet have significantly bigger muscles now than before but I don't have a before picture so I can't tell how much bigger they are.

That time lapse is gross. 

That time lapse is gross.
tongue.png

My feet seem to be taking the

My feet seem to be taking the opposite direction. They are getting skinnier, whatever fat tissue I had on my feet is slowing dissappearing, it's pretty much all veins,bones, and muscle. After a run, the skins is so tight that you can see each metatarsal with clarity, kind of wild.

Nasty long narly feet run in my family anyways, it's a scarey sight. Lying in bed the other day my wife say's my feet are not human-like. lol!

My feet were already skinny,

My feet were already skinny, they just got muscular and well defined along with the strong veiny look. My feet splayed out a little more but not very much. I was already a barefooter anyway, so I think that is why there wasn't a huge transition other than muscle tone. I use to have poor circulation in my ankles as a shod runner, now my feet and ankles feel awesome! I am glad I found out about bfr! ;) Yay!

Someone should really study

Someone should really study foot adaptation as it relates to BFR or at least barefoot activities and exercise.

I would think the area would be ripe for study.

Most recently I have noticed an increase in foot vascularity. Aside from my feet looking more buff and veiny.... I can't help but think that this latest change is more than just aesthetic. Could this mean improved circulation, faster healing, warmer feet, etc.? For those with medical conditions... this could be life changing.

My .02.

S. Pimp.

It is advised that people who

It is advised that people who have circulatory problems, diabetes, and perhaps even severe osteoporosis not run barefoot.

I know that for diabetes, the

I know that for diabetes, the recommendation is because diabetics frequently have reduced feeling in their feet and hands. A minor cut or injury might not be noticed before it becomes a real problem (i.e. infected). Diabetics are also advised not to wear sandals for the same reason - not enough protection.

Speculation (I am not a doctor): For diabetics who have not lost sensory feeling in their feet, running barefoot may be less risky, and if it increases circulation, it may even be helpful.

My experience (I am not diabetic, but relatives on both sides of my genetic tree have had adult onset diabetes): BFR has got me doing 'foot checks,' a quick look at each foot to see if there are any cuts, blisters, or abrasions, even on days that I'm not running. My now-healthier skin takes less damage, and I do get more feedback from my bare feet than I did at first. If I ever have diabetes, I won't stop barefoot running unless/until it becomes a problem (i.e. I find damage that I had no idea was happening, or infections become a problem).

I can't speak to osteoporosis or circulatory problems - I don't know enough about them.

I have had "flat feet" my

I have had "flat feet" my whole life (I could even make suction cup noises on a tile floor) and since I've begun to run in VFFs and barefoot, my foot structure is changing. I am developing an arch! My foot is widening just below the toes, but narrowing where I am creating an arch, and my ankles don't appear as "fallen" as they did. This is exciting to me. An arch becomes stronger when put under stress, and I'm seeing it happen first hand.

I too have developed an arch

I too have developed an arch where none barely existed before. As we strengthen our arch muscles, the arch rises which also reduces the amount of pronation taking place. Apparently, shoes with arch support prevent this from taking place by making our arches weak and reliant on the shoe and suppport.

Barefoot is truly best.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7