"Barefoot" Running "Shoes"

Barefoot TJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2010
We all know that there's no such thing as a barefoot running shoe, right? It's an oxymoron, of course. Just the words strung together that way is enough to set some people off. But how do you all feel about the phrasing "Barefoot inspired" running shoe? Would this help temper the negativity that comes from the term "Barefoot" Running "Shoes?"

For a minute, then folks will

For a minute, then folks will just shorten the term right back to "barefoot shoes"

But is it a start?  If say a

But is it a start? If say a minimalist footwear company only uses the term "barefoot inspired" and never barefoot running shoes?

I want to take the

I want to take the fundamentalist position here and say that no covering of the sole can ever be described as barefoot. Then again, maybe we've gotten to the point where we need to either throw a ton of money at the problem and really tell people how it should be or just accept the state of things. Once barefoot running isn't such a novelty I expect we'll see a more tempered debate and more people will realize the difference between shoes and barefoot. Until then, maybe "barefoot inspired" can be a good compromise?

Let's face it, if barefoot running stops being controversial then we're only at the beginning of the process and if it's a fad that will die out, it will die in a few years' time. Either way, I think the word barefoot will stop being abused like it is right now when everyone wants to get in on Vibram's profits. Marketers will find another word to mangle in time, they always do, and once that happens we might stand a chance of getting things back on track.

Yes, better than

Yes, better than barefoot.

But how many people do you know that say they follow the BRS forums on their notebook?

How many BFRunners have ever really owned a "laptop"?

Longboard wrote:But how many

Longboard said:
But how many people do you know that say they follow the BRS forums on their notebook? How many BFRunners have ever really owned a "laptop"?

I share your rage, I'm sure, but I not following the metaphors here precisely. What do you mean?

I was wondering...do the

I was wondering...do the health benefits come from mid/forefoot strike vs. heel strike, or do they come from being totally barefoot vs. any type of footwear?

Barefoot TJ wrote:.. how do

Barefoot TJ said:
.. how do you all feel about the phrasing "Barefoot inspired" running shoe? Would this help temper the negativity that comes from the term "Barefoot" Running "Shoes?"

I think it would help. Anything that recognizes there is a distinction. Currently several of the major makers of minimalist shoes (Vibram, in their product literature, though thankfully they don't do advertisements) and Evo Barefoot (in their product name) suggest there is no difference between barefoot and wearing their product. Which is a shame, because it looks like they make good stuff.

I guess I'm sort of a purist, because I'm trying to do as much true BF running as I can. There definitely are times when I wish I had some shoes on! (ps to stealth marketers: i am not above being bribed with product)

But I'm even more a purist for clarity. Let barefoot mean barefoot. And minimalist mean minimalist. Please?

Just that everyone seems to

Just that everyone seems to call their notebook computer a laptop, that's all.

Laptops were huge devices, can't even remember when they still were commonplace.

Stomper, I think this is what

Stomper, I think this is what Board is getting at. We call them laptops, they (to a techie purist) are notebooks. We say "whatever" because to us they are the same.

Well, the same can be said for people who move to a minimal shoe vs a TRS. Especially when the dang thing looks like a foot! Everybody (except the purists) interchange the terms.

So be a purist, my friend. But please take it easy on the noobs who haven't yet experienced enough bfr to understand the difference.

Just my $.02

sorry, Miker.  Every 6 weeks

sorry, Miker. Every 6 weeks or so I get mad about this "barefoot=vff" thing and have to convince myself to let it go after spending way too much time on this board. :) I guess I was due for an attack of it today.

I think that anything people can do to learn about themselves through their bodies is great.. barefoot or not, running or not. It's just the marketing of that inquisitive, healthy spirit that gets me worked up.

See you at my next attack in 6 weeks!

now, wonder if there's any good beer around........................

Donno. There's too many

Donno. There's too many factors to this debate. RunnersWorld reviewed the Nike Free and called it a minimalist shoe. I really appreciated that. It sucks when someone calls the Nike Free a "barefoot shoe" ...or the Brooks Green Silence, or the Saucony Kinvara. It really gets my blood pumping! :stare:

Not that I really care that

Not that I really care that much but here's my thoughts anyway :)

When I tell people I'm going running barefoot I shouldn't have to answer the questions "what shoes are you wearing". If I was going to wear shoes I'd of said I'm going running in my huarches, zems, or frees. I don't get why we can't just call everything exactly as it is. I'm obviously not a "barefoot purist" but it does slightly annoy me that they call things barefoot shoes. I really see all the activities as different and they should be designated appropriately. I consider myself a barefoot runner. I also consider myself a minimalist runner. I also consider myself a shod runner. I wear shoes for the latter two, I don't for the first. I think the term barefoot shoe is confusing. I like barefoot inspired because its 100% true and there is no confusing oxymorons.

I was killing time on youtube

I was killing time on youtube and came across this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ikRiGk4FTU

Several references to barefoot shoes and I found it funny how he his number one rule is to dont run on asphalt or cement when learning to run barefoot, stick to softer surfaces. Every person I have talked to that runs barefoot (myself included) learned on asphalt/cement

This is what I like to say to

This is what I like to say to soft surfaces:

It's best to learn your proper barefoot running form by first running barefoot on surfaces that do not forgive, surfaces that teach you how to place your foot, surfaces that teach you where to place your weight, so you don't develop stress fractures or bone spurs. Running on asphalt and concrete will do this. Running on soft surfaces like grass and sand have too much give, are too uneven, and unpredictable. You cannot learn a lesson where the answer changes with each footfall.

FreeYourToes wrote: Every

FreeYourToes said:
Every person I have talked to that runs barefoot (myself included) learned on asphalt/cement

I think my favorite thing to "learn" on is this section near my house of relatively hard packed dirt with bunches of stones probably half the size of fishtank stones. I started on that because I read somewhere that you should start on bad surfaces. I can't remember where I read it though for citation purposes. It hurt like hell the first few times and still does if its cold, but whenever I run too much on all the nice concrete and asphalt we have around here I end up running too fast, overstriding and hurting myself. I've managed to link nearly every ache and pain I've had to being stupid on nice surfaces.

In a totally unrelated to my above comment comment-

http://www.newbalance.com/nb-minimus/

It made me happy to see that they actually did call it the "minimalist running experience" and used "barefoot inspired" as the language on it.

I stopped caring about this

I stopped caring about this debate awhile ago. When I started feeling actual anger at the use of "barefoot" in marketing, I realized I could be doning something that mad eme happy- like going out and running.

Bottom line- the use of "barefoot" in marketing will only help us (BRS)... we're THE barefoot running organization. ;-)

I think the term "barefoot

I think the term "barefoot inspired" will go a long way to please all sides.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7