Barefoot running - Does it help prevent achilles tendonitis?

Barefoot Gentile

Barefooters
Apr 5, 2010
Fairfield, CT
I have heard from others that it has but I don't have any solid proof myself. I mistakenly answered a post in a marathon forum because someone is suffering from achilles tendonitis, and just said to incorporate some barefoot running in his regime, becuase it can stretch out the achilles and strengten that area. I got another response from this guy who is very agressive in his posts, and kind of shots down barefoot running anytime the topic comes up. Why do I bother even mentioning barefoot running in marathon forums, I don't know!

Anyways I would appreciate more evidence of this, if it's even true, or links. Maybe some off our doctors can chime in!

Cheers.

Lots of people say that

Lots of people say that barefoot running gets rid of PF, so the same might be true for AT. On the other "foot," I know that tight calves can aggravate the Achilles and the plantar fascia, especially if there's already a pre-existing injury to either, and since a lot of people experience tight calves when they first switch to the new barefoot-style form (zero drop) of running, so I would have to warn them of this.

I started running in the

I started running in the Vibram five finger shoes about three months ago. I noticed a subtle pain in the middle of my heel area after running. I dismissed it on a few occasions becouse the location I was at at the time was too nice to pass-up a good run. My problem probably started from wearing my work shoes standing many hours on the hot runway. I started working out on a stationary bike which made the recovery period much shorter than the 4 to 6 weeks that was suggested on the runners website. I still run minimulist and have little to no pain after my runs. I hope to build my way back up to a half.

Welcome, Anscbo!  Let's hope

Welcome, Anscbo! Let's hope this time is easier for you.

I started having problems

I started having problems with my AT about two years ago, back before I discovered barefoot running. I had taken a several-month-long break from running to get my thesis finished, and when I started back up again I was over-anxious to get back in shape and overdid it with back-to-back intervall days and the like. I finally went to the doctor when pain turned into a visable bump at the base of the tendon on the heel. X-rays showed it wasn't a bone spur, and since the doctor couldn't really figure out exactly what it was, he perscribed inlays with a raised heel. After about a month the pain was gone, but after about six months I started noticing the first signs of PF, which I can only assume was a wonderful side-effect of the strange inlays.

A year ago I started barefoot running, and within two months all signs of the oncoming PF were gone and have stayed gone. The AT has been another issue, however. All was well until this last June when I ran a 12k race on hilly terrain after running almost exclusively on flat terrain for the last few years. A few weeks after the race I was in San Francisco on vacation, so of course there were only hills to run on. Then a few more runs with the Oregon BRS Chapter in the hills of Forrest Park in Portland and my AT was back to its old self. In July I finally broke off my marathon training :( and cut mileage way back, and I've just about got things back under control.

Everybody (every body) is different, but for me personally, I can say with confidence:
1) Barefoot running didn't make my AT worse. Over-training did.
2) Barefoot running has taught me to listen more closely to my body, which I believe is the greatest key to preventing injury.

I did forget an injury that

I did forget an injury that occured about 12 years ago. I tore my achilles tendon on the same heel that is giving me trouble. It is frustrating not to be able to do the things like before. I cant say that my problem stemed from wearing my fivefingers or minumulist running but that I am old and falling apart starting at my left heel. I hope that it is just bursitis and I can get treatment for it. It is strange that a quarter of an inch on my heel hurts and nothing else bothers me. I love the feel of running with no shoes though. I may try trailrunning and see if it is less of an irritation on my heel.

I've had good success with BF

I've had good success with BF running, after years of struggling with AT in both feet. Learning proper BF form resulted in a much gentler stride than what I had previoiusly. The only time that the AT bothers me now, is if I've been in the vibrams too long and start to overstride. Landing on the forefoot, but still overstriding puts A LOT of stress on the achilles, and it'll flare up. Usually, I can correct my form in a day or two and all is well again. I did have to be careful during the transition and slow WAY down from my previous paces, as well as backing off the distance considerably. Basically, I suffered for 6-7 years with AT when shod(and I was a collegiate XC runner for most of that time, meaning I got regular PT and lots of work from the trainers and doctors, all with no improvement whatsoever), and now that I run BF or minimalist, and have corrected my form,I very rarely have any problems with my achilles.

Testament!  Loves it. 

Testament! Loves it. Welcome, Moose!

Thanks for the welcome, not

Thanks for the welcome, not sure how it took me so long to sign up. I've known about the site for a while, and been bfr for over 2 years, but I guess it's better late than never...

I don't see it as a cure.

I don't see it as a cure. After all barefoot running increases the workload on the tendon. Of course the strengthening and stretching could work as injury prevention, or at least generally be good for the feet.

On the other hand, many elite runners use barefoot running to treat foot pain, also tendonitis, and report that it works. Isn't that what they call "anecdotal evidence"?

Unfortunately there is no cure for people being jerks in forums. People just have a lot of built-up aggression.

;-)

BTW are you rid of your Achilles problems? I've had it once on each side, and I'll never increase mileage too fast again. What a bore to wait for the tendons to heal!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7