Barefoot on the streets?

nature runner

Barefooters
Jun 13, 2010
My gf wants be to go to the border bash on State street. The street divides Tennessee and Virginia. I was like sure, but I would like to go there barefoot since it is outside. She was like oh no, there are flesh eating bacteria on those streets! I am like you know I go barefoot all the time and run barefoot, wtf? She said the health dept told her that?

I told her for her sake of being embarassed I would wear my Vibrams. Has anyone ever heard of such bull? I mean flesh eating bacteria, c'mon? Is there really such a thing you can get from barefooting/ I have went barefoot for years and have never had such a thing come up?

Watch out nature, there are

Watch out nature, there are also alligators in the sewers.

I've never heard her particular complaint. It is a bit odd if you ask me. How come the bacteria can't stick to your shoes, and eat your skin when you touch them to take them off.

How long have you been dating this girl nature? Does she believe in psychics and astrology too? Watch your credit cards for charges to Miss Cleo.

this is complete

this is complete bullshit...

here's a resource to debunk all the barefoot myths of your friends::

http://www.barefooters.org/

I pretty much figured as

I pretty much figured as much, I go barefoot almost all year round to walmart, up and down streets everywhere, state parks, etc.. If I wear flip flops people where I shop are like why aren't you barefoot. I am like gf is with me, and she just looks stupid. Nobody complains, and she is convinced that there are bacterias out there that can kill me. I am like I should have been dead already, I mean for real! It really pisses me off that she doesn't want to be seen in public with me barefoot?

well, you can always get

well, you can always get another girl...but you are kind of attached to your feet :)

True, to me barefoot is most

True, to me barefoot is most comfortable. I don't like shoes at all. If it gets really cold I may put some shoes on, but it's a rare occasion since I live in Tennessee. Last year it stayed cold and I wore Vibrams alot. I don't see that happening this year, it's a hot season and is usually followed by mild winters. Year before last Christmas was like 70 outside. Jan through March is our cold spell, usually around 40 on average. Not cold enough for shoes. I am going barefoot and she will just have to deal with it lol!

Tell me there's no truth to

Tell me there's no truth to the rumor that nature runner and Ramzev know each other well!

Has either one ran a 10 K marathon?

I love going barefoot.

I love going barefoot. Maybe I should wear something so she wont feel bad. In hot weather I hate wearing anything on my feet, it is miserable. I hate shoes period! If I wear them I will not like it, and she will be happy, if I don't she will be embarrased, what to do?

I'll have to make sure I

I'll have to make sure I avoid those streets if I'm ever in the area

Shacky wrote:I'll have to

Shacky said:
I'll have to make sure I avoid those streets if I'm ever in the area

I believe she is just ashamed to be seen in public with me barefoot. I feel like it's a made up bunch of bull.

Longboard - the risk of

Longboard - the risk of getting MRSA is pretty low on the street. The UV from the sun is hard on bacteria. It's much more likely that one will pick up MRSA indoors. BUT... MRSA isn't the only flesh-eating bacteria. A number of unrelated species can do "flesh eating". It's still pretty rare, and usually something has to go wonky with the victim's immune system to allow the infection to get that bad.

There are things one can pick up outdoors from bare feet - hookworm and strongyloid worms - but they are pretty rare in the US, so the risk isn't reasonable.

Indoors, you can pick up fungal infections and warts, too, but the risk is still low, and the consequences are so acceptable, that I wouldn't get too stressed about it.

Update:The border bash had

Update:

The border bash had lots of rain and rained out the first band. The second band played, but played unplugged because all their equipment got wet. It was like a private concert only about 100 people with the rain. I loved The Joshua Panda Band! It was great, I wore flip flops to please the gf and just tried to have fun lol.

She's talking about MRSA and

She's talking about MRSA and it does exist. A guy did get it from a sharp pin or staple or something in his hotel room.

You could get it on State street, but by the time that happens your GF will have been struck by lightning 2 or three times at the same festival.

SillyC, I know I am exagerating, but how big is the real risk of MRSA from a foot wound in a city street?

Glad you had fun, even with

Glad you had fun, even with rain!

I think I may agree with NSNate: "well, you can always get another girl...but you are kind of attached to your feet
smile.png
"

As far as I know, MRSA, while it is very hard to treat, is no easier or harder to catch than any other strain of staph infection. If you have open cuts, sores, or blisters on your feet, you might want shoes or socks or bandages, but a healthy integumentary system (skin) is usually barrier enough. (Don't eat with your feet without washing, just like hands, and you should be fine.) The exception is if you are in an at-risk population, which includes most of the same categories as at-risk populations for other infections.

Thanks all for the technical

Thanks all for the technical input on the bacteria and infection stuff.

George, I am not sure if this is a at risk population. I have never heard of anything like that from going barefoot. I have heard of people dying of staph in the area hospitals alot, due to unsanitary conditions with the hospital itself. But, as far as people having staph or anything like that, it has been very rare. If I have cuts or anything I will just wear flip flops, my skin is prett tough considering I go barefoot almost 95% of the time. Work and resteraunts is the only places I wear shoes. It's just more comfortable for me to not wear any.

Silly C, Thanks for the input, makes me feel more confident in arguing my case. I showed her these statements and she was like wow ok lol. Of course she is more agreeable when she has had a few to drink lol.

Longboard wrote:Tell me

Longboard said:
Tell me there's no truth to the rumor that nature runner and Ramzev know each other well! Has either one ran a 10 K marathon?

As far as I know we have not met, I've never been to Tennessee. But we may have a mutual friend; Nature Runner, have you ever plowed Fields?

To the OP, what everyone here has said is good info. I've not had any issues with flesh eating microbs. My opinion, and it's just my opinion I have them too, is that barefoot looks a lot less ridiculous then VFF's.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7