barefoot mountain backcountry backpacking

barefoot kean

Barefooters
Jun 3, 2010
Anchorage
it has now officially been proven (with pictures) that barefoot mountainous backpacking is entirely do-able on even the roughest of surfaces. Ill post more whenever i have the time to write up a full report and figure out how to post pictures!

Sounds like a blast.  I need

Sounds like a blast. I need to get to the mountains.

To insert pictures, go to the Site Help forum and check out the "How to embed pictures" thread stickied at the top; at least, that's what I think it's called.

Breaking news !  Barefeet can

Breaking news ! Barefeet can pretty much function in any environment assuming you have trained them to that exposure.

I've been hiking/backpacking BF for a few seasons. Both day hikes, and wilderness areas in the backcountry. Not 100 % all the time though. My feet are not trained for every wilderness environment, or things like poision oak, etc.

How is this suddenly official is what I would like to know ? Ancient natural living, and this is only official now ?

Not sure I get it. Please break the news on what I have missed out on all this time.

Were you running OP in the backcountry ? Is that why this is in the running section ? Mountain runs are special, but not for the faint hearted.

Shock, why are you so

Shock, why are you so negative about every post you make? Put it to a rest or you'll have to find friends elsewhere.

It sounds awesome.  What

It sounds awesome. What special training do you have to do to get your feet use to all that extra weight? It would seem hard to be able to glide along the ground while carrying a 50 pound backpack. lol...

TJ - I don't really desire to

TJ - I don't really desire to participate in your drama queen comments. So I'll just move on with the topic at hand. If some things I type you don't like well that is human nature. My comments can be ignored if someone desires. Lastly I just want to see user keans "official proff". No need for you to complicate the thread.

Buckeye - training for backpacking question you had. Ya know I'm probably a bit diffrent on this board. I do a lot more then just run. I worked out in the gym barefoot for numerous years before I started to run. I do lots of stuff with bare feet.

Based on my experience backpacking bare would be similar to a new bare runner. You have to train slowly. Backpacking bare would be a new activity if you have only run. You would have to train the feet to adapt to bare baclpacking. I would just follow simialr guidelines that a new bare runner would follow. Your feet can handle the backpack weight. As I stated in my earlier post the feet can adapt to any environment if trained properly, and exposed to those conditions. That includes heat, and cold. I have not learned tricks for poision oak though.

I'm still waiting for a acceptable pair of min hiking shoes to hit the market. The Merrell trail runners shoes are a fail in my mind. Looking forward to see what the vivo neo trail shoes look like coming out. At this time I go bare as much as possible. When needed I use home made 6 mm cherry sandals. Just be on look out for poision oak. I found that poision oak is not a issue on bottom of feet as it just rubs off as you walk. You just have to keep the oak off of the top of your foot. A good eye, and it is generally not a problem. Or just avoid poision oak areas.

Take the backpacking slow if you are not used to doing it bare footed. Other wise TMTS issues will apply. Your feet need to adapt to the added weight resting on your hips. By the way I travel with decent gear, and a smart packer so I'm usually around 35ish lbs pack.

I will definitely say you get

I will definitely say you get a better workout in the feet walking barefoot than running. I think everyone should walk barefoot before running as a nice gateway to barefoot running.

I have been running barefoot for two years, but everytime i go for a barefoot walk, the next day I feel it my feet more than a run.

You're the drama queen,

You're the drama queen, Shock. You started it with an ugly comment/questions to Keen. We like to keep the mood friendly here. This isn't one of those public forums where people constantly argue and bitch at each other...and get away with it. We actually moderate this forum. You can have a difference of opinion all day long, no problem, but when you write ugly things to people, unneccessarily, we have a problem with that. This isn't the first time you made negative comments to members here at the BRS. I'm counting. If you keep it up, even just one more unpleasant post to me or anyone else, you will be banned. Now get along.

I love a good barefoot

I love a good barefoot hike.

To me it feels more like I am IN nature rather than ON it.

S. Pimp.

im not up for writing today,

im not up for writing today, but here are a few pics.
th_SANY0067.jpg
th_SANY0086.jpg
th_SANY0123.jpg
th_SANY0025.jpg

Hey BFKeen,Thanks for the

Hey BFKeen,

Thanks for the pics and story. I agree that it's not only possible but really fun! My kids and wife even took their shoes off and had a go as well. Everyone really enjoyed it and no one got hurt. I wore my new 4mm InvisibleShoes (huaraches) for the way down because I got some cuts on my feet from chasing (literally) trout in small streams. We found it easier to balance and grip with bare feet than with stiff soled hiking boots.

Here's a blog post about it for anyone who wants to know more.

http://barefootrunners.org/blog-entry/barefoot-back-packing

I have been barefoot hiking

I have been barefoot hiking for much longer than running.(About 12 years) I agree that if anything, the feet get a better workout from hiking than they do from running. Perhaps because the feet are used in a wider variety of positions. The only major hiking that I have done with a full pack is Roraima in Venezuela. The others were done with a day pack only. I have many photos that you can see on my flickr site. Just search for footloose3

I have had no issues with my feet since starting training for my half marathon. It would be interesting to hear if it is different for anyone who has done it the other way. An experienced runner who starts barefoot hiking.

Those pictures look lovely,

Those pictures look lovely, Kean. What a beautiful place to be. I did some barefoot trail running with the GA Chapter on Sunday, and we had a blast. There was lots of debris and every imaginable surface and texture. Really brings the senses to life; even the painful steps that last for just a moment are somehow exhilarating .

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon