Barefoot Leni's first Ultramarathon!

BFwillie_g

Barefooters
May 17, 2010
Kulmbach, Germany
She did it. Leni der Wunderhund completed a 50k training run with me on Sunday - and was ready to do it again on Monday :eek:

Here she is at the start, looking over her shoulder wondering what's holding me up:

Foto0054_01.jpg

Reactions: ElyDave
Are you kidding me? That little thing?

Reactions: BFwillie_g
Nope, no joki. I had her on the leash most of the time, to hold her back (at my pace, she could just run all day). I let her loose over about the last 15km and she tore off after rabbits and gremlins and whatever it is she chases after.

There was also some excitement involving a herd of wild boar that I'll write about later... :)

... but first, a couple more pics ...

Heading up into the woods:

Foto0055_02(1).jpg

Approaching the village known as "Sanspareil" (means, "without compare", was named by a Duchess):

Foto0059_04(1).jpg

Turning back to look at a looooooong climb we'd just finished:

Foto0066_09(1).jpg

Crossing through another little village, called "Hollfeld":

Foto0069_12(1).jpg

dutchie - I didn't exactly luck out, I got sent here by the US Army in 1983 and returned to stay in 1995 ;)

about the dog - I can control Leni when I really want to. I have to point at the ground and say stuff like, "don't even think about it!" and "grrrrrrr!"... then she obediently stays near me for a couple minutes. But she begins to stray and I have to do it all over again.

Thing is, generally, I love allowing her to go off and do her own running, she always comes back. But on that day, I was planning close to six hours of running and didn't want her to burn herself out. There's no way to communicate my plans to her, you know? She never knows if we're going for a little trot around the block or some huge excursion... same as driving in the car. Are we popping over to Oma's house for the afternoon or driving seven hours to Italy? Crazy life, when you think about it :)

The longest run I had my dog on was 30k. He loves to go for runs and never strays more than5 meters away from me. The only thing he has developed in the last year is a dislike for early runs. If it is still dark outside he just stays in bed and kind of peeks at me as if to say I am sleeping, and it is a chore to get him out. Show him daylight and he is jumping up and down ready to go. :)

That's awesome!

There's a dude that runs trails somewhere near me with a little Shi Tzu. I've seen him out frequently, and one day, I passed them twice while on a long run. I thought about the options, and based on where I saw them and where the possible trailheads were, there is NO WAY the dog did less than 16 miles that day, and likely did more.

The only thing he has developed in the last year is a dislike for early runs.

hahaha Leni has always been that way, really hates to get up in the morning. I'm considering taking her along for my ultra (45mi) in May - I have no doubt that she would love it and could do it easily (more easily than me, lol) but there are two possible problems:
  • Weather - if it's too warm, then obviously it's a no-run for a dog. This race is known for cold, wet, windy, crappy, muddy conditions, so it may be ok for her
  • The start is 6am and I truly don't know if I can coax her out of her bed at that hour! (actually, it'll be a hotel room in May)
So we'll see what happens. Sunday's run was kind of a test to see how her attitude would hold up after so many hours at my lame pace. She passed with flying colors!

Those are great pictures. What a wonderful place to run, and what quaint little towns. I love the one of your doggie looking back down the road. That is precious.

The boar story:

We were running through a valley, all alone in the world, Leni was on the leash. There was a steep climb up to the left and I heard some rustling up there, nothing unusal. My thoughts went from 'birds', to 'rabbits', to 'deer' as the sound got louder and clearly turned into the sound of an animal running. Still nothing unusual, I expected a deer to hop out and cross the path in front of us (and told Leni, "Don't even think about it", and shortened my hold on her leash).

In that very second, the sound turned into a thundering herd of wild boar, at least ten of them, charging down the hill at full-speed (30mph?) and passing about twenty meters ahead of us. When I saw them, I seriously thought "Buffallo???" for a second before coming to my senses. Leni started barking her head off and tried to get away to chase after them. They were huge:

wildschwein.jpg

and if we had been about 15 seconds quicker (if I had stopped to take one less picture beforehand), they would have trampeled us into the ground, and who knows, maybe stopped to take a bite out of us along the way.

Well, that was pretty exciting. I have to say I enjoyed it, wow! What a sight! They were so loud, probably because the were going down such a steep hill to begin with. And then poof, they were gone, down into the valley on the right. Incredible.

We just continued jogging along at my slow pace and about a minute later, I understood better what had happened. The gunshots started riging out down in the valley. It was a forced hunt. Someone up at the top of the climb had spooked them and led them into the trap. From the sound of it, there were probably 4 or 5 hunters, and the shooting went on for a very long time...

So, after that, I was doubly glad that I had decided to keep Leni on the leash for this particular run!

oooops! Time to go to work !

I love the one of your doggie looking back down the road. That is precious.

yeah, that's a pretty sweet pic, and I didn't know she was in it till I got home and flipped through the photos on my phone ;)

Joe - yeah, I'm like that, lol. I mean, for me, it was a real treat (until I heard the slaughter). I have to admit, though, I always order "Wild" when it's on the Speisekarte. Are there a lot of them where you live, too? We've got wolves here now as well, in the Fichtelgebirge. And Mr. Beaver moved in a few years ago and is busy rearranging the Roter Main behind the house. Huge rabbits, dear, pheasants... storks, herons... we live in a virtual game park here.

Dutchie - YES, we've figured that out. When we first got Leni (our first dog), we were expecting to deal with a hyperactive, crazy child every morning. But, left to her own will, she'd sleep till 11 o'clock every day.

I was doing okay with that story, Willie, until I got toward the end.

I was doing okay with that story, Willie, until I got toward the end.

I expected that TJ, sorry to upset you, really. But the truth is, boar and deer here really have to be controlled (somehow). They multiply like crazy and left to themselves, they'd truly overrun everything. So, I feel horrible for the animals but... what's the alternative?

fwiw, hunters in this area are extremely well-trained and schooled, and the few that I know are very humane and genuinely have the best interests of the animals at heart.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon