Barefoot:Chewing Coca Leaves::Vibrams:Smoking Crack

Barefoot Jim

Barefooters
Sep 25, 2011
So I've been barefooting for about 5 months now, after running shod for years. Started off with vibrams, got educated, went barefoot. It wasnt until i was truly barefooting that i really started getting that floaty springy trippy feeling that i now seem to be addicted to. Then when it started getting colder i'd put on the vibrams once in a while and ran FASTER and FURTHER. to be fair, i'd run faster and further barefoot, because it felt so good...i was starting to time myself again (something i seemed to care about shod, but forgot about barefoot) and was ending up a 5 or 6 k run with a 7 to 7.5 minute mile, and starting to run 5 or 6 times a week about 25 to 20 miles a week. then about a month ago, i did simething moderately bad to my calf, took a week off and started up slowly barefoot only. feeling good again for a couple of weeks.

then this weekend, i was gliding along, and i landed on a big sharp rock, about a cm or two towards my heel below the lateral ball of my foot. hurt like hell. but i so needed the run, i kept going for another 2 miles, felt barely ok. the next morning noticed a nice bruise about the size of a half dollar on the ball of my foot, and my foot and both shins were pretty sore.

took two days off, and this morning, i was dying for a run, but worried about the sore so, so i went out in my vibrams, just to stay loose and get some air....

in a few minutes i was gliding along, feeling great, speeding up. i was trying to concentrate on keeping my stride short and my cadence high, but i really start to feel buzzed and have a hard time not letting out the throttle and doing some distance. at about 2 miles i just stopped, for no other reason than i thought i would regret it tomorrow, and i have some time off for the holiday weekend and want to enjoy some of it running.

have i lost my mind ? i feel like i'm a vibram/crackhead.

and the coca leaves? i love

and the coca leaves? i love chewing them. it'd be nice if we could get some here. good for you for not pushing too hard. you've been bitten and it's hard to ignore it sometimes. i also am dying to run but i'm not going to. i don't want a stress fracture and damn chest cold have me just staring at all this lovely rain we're getting.

have a good turykey day.

Ah, BFJim,We live in a

Ah, BFJim,

We live in a dangerous, complicated world. Temptations are everywhere and some of them are more seductive than others. Fortunately, VFF addiction rates as one of the more benign monkeys you can find on your back.

If you want, you can get a fix of "run fast" now and then and revert to running with optimal feedback at other times. There is no shame! There is only good, joy and health. Moderation is likely to be the hard part, but you can find your path in this, I don't doubt.

Now, go forth and prosper, Grasshopper!

Mike, I didn't know you had

Mike, I didn't know you had injured your foot. When did you do that? Are you going to be able to do the Jingle Bell Run? Remember me talking to you on our last run, about that pain I had on my arch and heel? I think I've had a mild PF so I've taken the last 4 days off and I now have zero pain. Afraid to run and reaggravate it. I've missed the rain running lately too which sucks. Ben has been sick too so I haven't wanted to take him out in this weather either. Anyhow, hope you get rid of that chest cold Mike and your foot heals fast.

Is that good crack or bad

Is that good crack or bad crack?

yeah....the metaphor breaks

yeah....the metaphor breaks down a bit, since i think its perfectly possible to use the VFF's in a healthy happy way, but I don't think there's much of a way to use crack like that...

its just for me at this point, so far, when i put on the VFFS i always overdo it and injure myself. and i'm getting a little concerned because i'm assuming sooner or later, real winter is coming.

bad crack, you buy on the

bad crack, you buy on the corner. good crack, everyone has with women's being sweeter.
wink.png

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon