Barefoot 5K

PatrickGSR94

Barefooters
Dec 9, 2011
Okay no I didn't run a 5K. But I walked 3.2 miles through the big local Christmas lights display. It's normally a drive-thru affair, but on Mondays in December it's for walkers, runners, and bikes only. And I was barefoot, mostly on the asphalt road the whole time. :)

My 2 year old was shod but he pounded out 2.5 miles like a boss before asking to get in the stroller. That kid is a friggen walking machine! Loves to walk all over the place. Now if I could just get him on a bike. ;)

Two and a half miles?! For a two year old?! Wow, he is a walking machine!

yep, all I ever hear from him when we go outside is "wal, wal!!" because he wants to walk somewhere :p

Reactions: Sid
Only two years old and you've already got him in footwear? If I had a child, s/he would be allowed to be BF anytime that I chose to be (which is almost always, save for cold-wet weather).

His mother and her mother insist on footwear. I probably would have, too, as it was pretty dark for most of that length we walked. Some areas were pretty rough, too, and difficult even for me to walk on it.

Sad news, that. Even many non-barefooting parents allow their kids to go BF up until school starts insisting on footwear. Many pediatricians recommend that the child's feet be allowed to develop BF.

He does stay barefoot pretty much all the time at home and in the yard. But going out anywhere my wife insists he wear shoes because "he might step on something". Why? Because ONE TIME she stepped on a bee when she was a kid.

But like I said it was very dark during most of the walk and I probably would have put shoes on him anyway. The only light we had was at the various Christmas light displays along the way. I think I picked up a piece of glass somewhere along the way, and was smart enough to stop, pick my foot up, and pull out/brush off whatever was on there. It was dark so I have no idea if it was glass, metal, piece of wood, whatever.

Believe me I know all about child foot development and the importance of going without shoes as much as possible. I wish we could afford some type of minimalist shoe for him, but we just can't. And my wife (and more so my MIL) would probably say any type of minimalist shoe wouldn't be warm enough in the winter.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts