Bakers cyst?

Tristan

Barefooters
Sep 15, 2011
Ohio
Anyone have any experience with them? My running partner developed on a couple weeks ago. It's huge, a lump about the size of her knee cap or bigger, right around the side of her knee. At first her doctor didn't know what it was, and it caused her no discomfort, so she was still running, actually had the cyst in that 10k race that's in our avatar, and she made a PR. But a little while after her doctor got MRI results and told her what it was and not to run until they do something about it. I think she is still waiting on an appointment with orthopedic surgeon or something. She is going to miss her first half marathon next weekend we both signed up for. :-( I did some quick searching but didn't find much and almost didn't seem like what she had. Does running cause this sometimes or is that unrelated? Will it be a problem in the future or can she get back into running again? I hope this is nothing more than a temporary inconvenience.

I never heard of a bakers cyst developing in the front of the knee but they are very common on the back of the knee and as far as I am concerned there is nothing that it can be done about but that might have changed.
And I could be completely wrong about all that. I wish your friend good luck anf a fast recovery.

I had one about 15 years ago. Didn't know I had it 'til it ruptured, and with the ankle puffiness and calf pain after that I rushed myself to the doc assuming it was a potentially life threatening blood clot. No treatment needed since it had ruptured itself. It is a buildup of synovial fluid in the joint capsule and is related to activity, in my case at that time cycling and rollerblading, not running.

I never heard of a bakers cyst developing in the front of the knee but they are very common on the back of the knee and as far as I am concerned there is nothing that it can be done about but that might have changed.
And I could be completely wrong about all that. I wish your friend good luck anf a fast recovery.
Not the front of the knee but on the inside, like facing the other leg. I thought that was all of it, but apparantly the doc says its in the normal spot around the back of the knee too, just more of it to the side so at first we didnt realize it was there.

Longboard, so did yours ever come back? Do you do anything different know to prevent it? Running is really the only thing that has increased for her lately, only other physical stuff she does (besides being on her feet all day as a babysitter) is volleyball, but that actually ended a month or so ago I think.

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
Mine never came back, and I still do everything I was doing back then with the exception of rollerblading. The only new thing I do since then is running.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7