Average MCAT scores for Podiatrists

Sid

Barefooters
Jan 1, 2011
Florida
From the first link in Sid's post:

What is a Doctor of Podiatric Medicine?

A Doctor of Podiatric Medicine (DPM) is to the foot what a dentist is to the mouth, or an ophthalmologist to the eye --- a doctor specializing in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of foot disorders resulting from injury or disease.

FALSE! (at least in the U.S.)
A dentist attends a school of dentistry after attending college/university and studying at least pre-medical sciences and more often than not completing requirements for an undergraduate degree.
A podiatrist does the same before attending a school of podiatric medicine, as do chiropractors.
Whomever wrote the above quote knew full well that they were off base including the ophthalmologist rather than an optometrist for the comparison.
The optometrist follows a similar track to the dentist, chiropractor, or podiatrist, while the ophthalmologist must attend and graduate from a four year medical school after completing a four year college degree and then be accepted to a highly coveted multi-year ophthalmology residency following graduation from medical school.
To be compared to an ophthalmologist a "foot doctor" would have to be an orthopedic surgeon limiting their practice to the foot and ankle, not a podiatrist.

To clarify, I didn't post with the intention of denigrating or demeaning good doctors. Many of us have had less than satisfactory experiences with podiatrists. We often wonder why podiatrists don't perform more research. Perhaps as a partial explanation, academically, the admission criteria for podiatrists are less rigorous than for medical doctors.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Reactions: Bare Lee and Sid
Reactions: Bare Lee and Sid
While test scores are not everything, if I ever need to go to podiatrist, I'm going to have to ask them their MCAT score.
www.aacpm.org/html/careerzone/cz3_faqs.asp

22 for podiatry school is really low compared to 31 for medical school.
https://www.aamc.org/download/321494/data/2013factstable17.pdf

22 = 27% percentile
31 = 83% percentile
https://www.aamc.org/students/download/361080/data/combined13.pdf.pdf

I made a quip to that effect on a recent thread.

BTW, I used to proctor entrance exams, and one tidbit you might find interesting is that the anti-cheating protocols are greater for would-be medical students than for would-be lawyers, and the greatest for those seeking to become anesthesiologists. So don't trust the guys with the drugs! We required two forms of ID, thumbprints, randomized seating with empty seats and empty rows to isolate test-takers, and then after lunch the whole process was repeated, including new thumbprints and seating.

Reactions: dharmadan and Sid
Despite having proven oneself by aceing courses in organic chemistry, advanced biology, physics, and biochemistry before even entering a medical school class there are major differences among the students in a graduating medical school class with regards to intelligence , common sense reasoning, problem solving abilities , judgement skills, work ethic, and willingness to sell out for economic gain.
There will be one validictorian per class, and yet one other will have the distinction of graduating last in their class.
We don't think about that very often, but they do call that last person something, and it's pretty universal around the country and the whole world for that matter......
Doctor.

There will be one validictorian per class, and yet one other will have the distinction of graduating last in their class.
We don't think about that very often, but they do call that last person something, and it's pretty universal around the country and the whole world for that matter......
Doctor.
The first one you want when you need surgery, the last one you want when you have the flu.

BTW, at the University of Chicago, no one is called Doctor, so as not to get confused with the medical profession!

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
The first one you want when you need surgery, the last one you want when you have the flu.

!
Yeah but I bet that last one is a lot more fun to enjoy a good IPA with.

Reactions: Bare Lee

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7