Australia, Adelaide IBRD 2016

Well, the smallest run of the year so far. But even if there is one person running I'll still be there come rain or shine.
This year the IBRD was on the same weekend as the Barossa Running festival which is the wine area to the north east of Adelaide, that was a pull on the running community this weekend.
The weather had been cold, wet and blowy in the preceding week and many runners hibernate in the Autumn and re-emerge as the first flowers of spring start to burst through.
So, today, the stalwarts of myself and David were the team Adelaide. At first I saw a group of people with no shoes on by the jetty and I got a little excited, this faded when I saw they were just washing their feet after coming from the beach.
The morning was cool and windy with a southerly blowing from the antarctic across the southern ocean to chill the morning walkers. When I say chill, it is relative, nothing compared to some of you hardy US and UK citizens that brave the temperatures of close to 0C.
We set off from the small fishing jetty in the beachside suburb of Grange and ran south on a very nice, smooth concrete footpath that leads to Henley Beach and then onto West Beach.
We ran into the wind for the first half then back along the beach for the return journey. Years ago I used to find the wind quite a issue, this before the barefoot transition. The issue was because my stride length was slower and wider and along with the wind and the braking action of my running style it would tire me out. Now, it is just not an issue as I lean into the wind and let gravity help me along and keep my stride short and efficient.
I shall be moving house in the next month, the first move in 25 years so it will mean new places to run and explore and more space to live in.

Regards

Neil

I still say that's a successful day! Got any pictures?

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts