Article: Why I Do Not Stretch Before Running

dirtdemon77

Barefooters
Apr 4, 2010
Fantastic article Nate!Thanks so much for taking the time to pass that information along. In high school we always stretched before running. When I started running again, I was impatient andjust wanted to get out and run, so I would only stretch afterwards. I stuck with that routine because it felt good.

I have found that I need to warm up longer and build more intensity into my warm ups now that I am barefoot. Not sure why that is, but it works.

Thanks again for the great write up

Thanks dirtdeamon! Yeah, warm ups are important...I just warm up with low intensity the first 1/2 mile then settle into what ever kind of run I'm doing. Another great warm up, especially for barefooters is that "juking" agility drill (for those who played football or basket ball)..basically bending low at the knees and gliding from side to side as you move forward, helps develop ankle stability too ;-)

Thanks for the compliment and the read Larry!

Nate,

Thanks for sharing. I've only been barefoot/minimalist running for 3 1/2 months, but everything I read just "makes sense". Your article certainly fits with that. Wow!, I just wish I had learned about barefoot running sooner! Thanks again!

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks Mike, I'm glad you found it helpful! And I too, wish I had known about bfr a LONG time ago :)

Very good article Nate. I find it hard not to stretch out a pulled muscle though, as insinctively that's what my body is telling me I should do?

Hey Annette,

There's a difference in feel between a "tight" muscle and a "pulled" one....often, a "pulled muscle" then contracts tightly as a "reaction" to being pulled (think of stretching a ruberband and then releasing it), or if it continues, results in a "tear"(stretching that rubber band until it breaks)...to try and stretch it out is to "tell" the muscle to protect itself more...what you want it to do, is release it's "reaction"....often times, (right after injury), is to actually contract the muscle as tight as you can for a second and then release that tension, and do this a couple more times. But what I'm really referring to in the article is the next day/week after injury...the muscle will have been over-stretched and needs to regain it's tone. You will know the difference, in that the next day/week/even several weeks, the pulled muscle will not "work quite right" different sort of feeling than "muscle fatigue" or soreness due to training. A truly pulled muscle (think in terms of sprain/strain) needs rest first, then rehab. Think of "pulls" in the same realm as "tears"...if the action that caused the Pull is continued, it will result in a muscle/tendon/ligament tear.

If the muscle isn't "pulled" and is just "tight"(this is the normal course of action as muscles "fill up" with lactic acid during use)...then yes, stretching it out will feel fabulous and the correct course of action. One of the main reasons I advocate stretching AFTER a run is really to keep those muscles from getting "too tight" as a result of a work out, and it aides in the rebuilding process. In the case of "strengthening" a muscle pull, the action itself will provide some stretch in the "normal" range of motion of the muscle. And as rehab continues, light stretching AFTER strengthening is advisable.

I hope that helps.

Nate

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7