Article: U.S. Army Declares War on Barefoot/Minimalist Running Shoes Courtesy of http://zero-drop.co

And nobody ever accused the Army about being "cutting edge" when it comes to physical fitness. They are still doing situps for the physical fitness test which are absolute murder on you kneck and back. I tore my trapezius during a PT test in training doing situps, and my back problems started with the muscle imbalance created from situps when I had to "roll to one cheek" to keep my tail bone from contacting the ground on each rep. There are literally dozens of safer, more effective exercises that measure core fitness more accurately than situps. But they're tradition. The Army sucks at this kind of stuff.

As far as the shoe debate, I can see them banning VFFs based upon their ridiculous appearance (and yes, they do look ridiculous even though I have a pair of Sprints), but they have painted themselves into a corner on this one. How flexible and lightweight does a shoe have to be to be considered "minimalist" or a "racing flat" in the eyes of the Army. I can tell you right now, there are a lot of shoes that are tagged with the "minimal" tag that I do not consider minimal at all. Ex: Saucony Kinvara, Nike Free, NB Minimus Road. Are soldiers not allowed to wear these either? Do they really expect commanders to personally inspect a soldier's PT attire and weigh their shoes?

On another note: I further injured my back in Iraq (trying to lift an overturned HMMWV.... long story) and aggravated it through various other athletic means. The VA was a friggin' joke and a runaround (I was in the Reserve). Running was painful, and I had no success with a civilian chiropractor. I remained on profile during most of the remainder of my eight years in the Army due to a bulging, herniated disk. It wasn't until I stumbled upon Ken Bob Saxton's site that I found out about the joys and wonders of running shoeless. I would never have recovered from my injuries if I had not started running barefoot (I later started working my core with the assistance of a PT - again, no thanks to the Army). I can rant on the Army a bit more, but I don't want to seem like I'm attacking servicemen, so I won't.

And lastly, a big LOL at "bankrupting the PX." Is that even possible? First of all, they sell a whole heck of a lot more than just shoes. Second, most soldiers get their regular running shoes through other channels ALREADY. I know I did.

It has nothing to do with the PX not making anymore money off the Soldiers. If every Soldier stopped buying shoes there, they would still make a killing (pun intended) selling cigarettes and liquor.

I would like to think that the military was more concerned with the health of their Soldiers than their appearance, but I believe that it probably has a lot more to do with the fact that these shoes look "faddish". However, that will probably change as these shoes start taking up more space in the mainstream runners world.

When it comes to the health of Soldiers, I think they are going to make every effort to ensure that the troops do not go out and hurt themselves. I have a Soldier that heard about VFFs and went right out and bought them. He didn't even make it through one run before he hurt his foot and had to be on light duty for the next six months. Unfortunately, he's not the only one that didn't take the time to learn how to run in minimal shoes and the military can't afford to have Soldiers that are broke.

I'm in a good situation here where I don't have to run in a formal P.T. formation and I don't have to wear a military uniform. I run barefoot whenever I can and only put shoes on when I have to take a P.T. test. Plus, my commander is my running partner and he's very interested in this subject, so that helps too.

This makes no sense at all. The Army's OWN research shoes that conventional wisdom about running shoes is a "Sports Myth": tinyurl.com/sportsmyth

Run Barefoot Run Healthy!

-ashish

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7