Article: Terra Plana Discount for BRS Members

Love_Running

Barefooters
Apr 3, 2010
I dont get this; These minimal running shoes dont have cushon or other features that a traditional cushoned shoe has. But it is priced twice or thrice the price of a traditional shoe. Have we lost sense of value or competitiveness?

You're right. In general, minimalist shoes are a bit pricy ... unless you do the homemade huaraches or something like that. It could just be economies of scale, though. It's going to be hard to be price-competitive with an $18 billion dollar company, like Nike, that spreads their costs across the sales of about 3 bazillion shoes.

In Terra Plana's case, I think they're trying to make their biggest value not the cheapness of the good, but instead the total "good" of the shoe - eco-friendly, high quality, etc.

TERRA PLANA tries hard to use a variety of eco-friendly materials and innovative, minimal glue constructions. Shoes that are good for you, shoes made from recycled materials, the minimum shoe. The totally sustainable shoe is still a long way off but with each collection we get that little bit closer.

I hope that the explosive growth these minimalist companies must have experienced lately will soon translate into lower prices. Until then, though, I'm going to keep running barefoot and saving the $$Iwould otherwise be constantly dumping into replacing my running shoes. With all that savings Ican easily afford an expensive pair of minimalist shoes!

I have had these for 6 months. They are exceptionally well made, and I really love the wide toe-box. Mine are brown, just like the photo, but came with ugly red laces (now replaced with brown).