Article: Run It By Jason - Running barefoot for hours over any terrain

Danjo

Barefooters
Sep 6, 2010
This ability is obviously not fiction, because I just ran for about two hours completely barefoot yesterday. The first mile was paved, then about 6 miles of sandy/dirt road "trails", and then 3 more miles of paved road. There was always some gravel on the ground, though it varied in concentration. It wasn't bad in the sand, but the dirt roads were just as hard as a paved road, so no protection from the gravel for most of the run.

The question probably meant a lot more than just 2 hours, but I still doubt most people think its possible to run for 2 hours on varying sizes and concentrations of gravel. I didn't even do much training to run the 10 miles, and I had remebered the course as being much softer and nicer than it actually was, so I didn't have a lot of foot toughness either. Do my feet hurt from it? Yes, but I got through, and my feet hurt even when I ran it in boat anchors last year.

Do I recommend that people go out and run 10 miles on light gravel without preparing for it? No. But is it possible? Yes. As far as I've found most "limitations" are simply limits to our patience and judgement (and I'm not calling you or anyone else stupid or impatient). This summer when I was still running in shoes and "uber-training" Ihit my "limit" when I ran 70 miles in four days. This was not an indefinite limit, but it was simply the most I could run with the amount of training Ihad done to work up to it. Instead of an absolute physical limit, I simply couldn't go any farther because I hadn't had the patience to work up to it slowly, and I didn't have the judgement to say "You know, maybe Ishouldn't be running this far in this short a time just yet."