Article: Claude By Nyal Davidsson

sloutre

Barefooters
Aug 7, 2010
Here is my narrative:

Pain on my soles is minor and temporary. Feeling good in the rest of my body is a lasting benefit.

I'm a new runner so I don't have a history of injuries from running with shoes, but after trying a few times Ican tell that I don't know how to run with shoes, Ijust do it wrong, it feels ackward, tiring, painful. It feels like I *have*to run to be healthy, like a chore. If Ihadn't tried running barefoot I would not be running at all. So it's pretty easy to rank the whole experience as something overwelmingly positive with the minor temporary discomfort of tender soles.

And the rebel in me really wanted to like barefoot running, just to do another thing differently...but shhh...I will not admit that in public.

Really enjoyed your article! And it reminds me of one of my fav. shakespear quotes that I have often in my mind...."nothing is good or bad, save thinking makes it so." --Hamlet

I personally experience quite a bit of joy through physical discomfort and pain...then again, I have been accused (possibly righteously so) of being a masochist.

Man I'm so happy to finally read something interesting about barefoot running.

One can only spend so much time researching barefoot running before they run into the same topics over and over. There really doesn't seem to be that much to say.

However, this is a really interesting point you make told in an interesting way.

It got me thinking about the ability to discern between pain that should be pushed (or relaxed) through and pain to which the best reaction is to sit down. Gravel is an example of pain that must be taken, learned from and pushed (or relaxed) through wheras when you get home and you have a badly bruised metatarsal, you should not push through this pain, you must sit the hell down and let it heal.

Knowing the difference between these two is, I think, is one of the many ingredients of an athlete.

I'm not sure I'm making my point very well but I really liked your article and it got me thinking.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts