Are walk breaks cheating?

swedishpimple

Barefooters
Jul 18, 2010
So I decided to change things up a bit on my long run yesterday. I incorporated walk breaks into my BFR... I would run at a comfortable effort level for 3 min. walk for 1 min. and repeat.

I had read somewhere that this was effective strategy for distance races and whatnot. So I thought why not try it out? I am after all ultimately training for my first 50K ski race in late January of 2011 and anything I can do to prepare for this event now can only help.

I found the results of this experiment to be very interesting. I achieved a PR in both distance 7mi. and ,despite the walking, long run pace 12:22 min./mi. (I know I'm slow).

I was relaxed the whole run... even the steep hills didn't bother me. I think in large part this was due to mentally knowing that no matter what the effort level was at the moment the next break was coming soon. My form felt great the entire way, my splits were consistent, and at the end of the run I was not tired at all... I was ready for more in fact.

So here's the rub. Did I cheat?

Can I say I ran 7 miles or do I need to invoke asterisks or some other form of disclaimer to note that some walking (cheating?) may have been at play?

TIA

S. Pimp.

I would leave off the

I would leave off the asterisk.

I've been doing walk breaks for some time now, especially with my long runs. About the only time I don't take walk breaks is when I race.

I've noticed the same thing about my long runs. With walk breaks, I can not only go longer, but I can also go faster, ironically.

Now the question of cheating comes in when you consider barefoot running vs shod running. A few weeks ago, as an experiment, I tried running in a pair of racing flats I had in the closet. It was a tough run. The weight and sponginess of the shoes really slowed me down. It felt like riding a bike on under-inflated tires. It was a lot more work than running barefoot.

So is running barefoot cheating?

Not at all, you listened to

Not at all, you listened to your body and gave it what it wanted...that trumps all ;)

It's not cheating, it's a

It's not cheating, it's a viable strategy. Then again, the question is what you want to achieve with your long run. I don't have anything to back this up but I have a feeling that it's going to be more productive in the long run to run at a steady pace when it comes to capillary and mitochondrial adaptations. If you run too fast you'll work a different kind of mithochondria than you should have been and the long runs won't give the effect you wanted. Then again, I could be completely wrong, that happens quite often, actually.

Jeff Galloway has used this

Jeff Galloway has used this strategy for decades now to make people runners. I've used it with my clients for abou a decade after learning it from him and it creates great runners who are injury free and run pretty quick times. I've had people run sub 2 hour halves using walk breaks in the race so it's definitely not cheating at all. It's just another version of tempo running so I say good for you.

Whatever you do, don't tell a

Whatever you do, don't tell a shod runner that THEY are cheating! Gads, do they get p!ssed!

It's strategy. Seriously,

It's strategy. Seriously, there are people run/walking and qualifying for Boston. That should put doubts to rest. Some people run the distance in training and go faster at the actual targe race with a planned run/walk schedule.

I always enjoy the feedback

I always enjoy the feedback from this group.

Blind Boy... When it comes to training benefits this type of workout is almost certainly not the same as a long slow distance run. I reckon if I had a running coach and he prescribed a long run day doing this sort of run walk thing instead might indeed be considered cheating.

I did enjoy it though. I would like to think I got something, conditioning wise, out of it too.

From what I experienced in one run... using a strategy like this does give me hope for someday being able to conquer the longer distances be they on foot or on skis.

S. Pimp.

How did you feel during the

How did you feel during the faster bits? Playing around a little with the McMillan running calculator based on your pace here and a few other assumptions about your walking pace and so on a total pace of 12:22 would put you well above your lactate threshold (Steady-state: 10:57-11:16) during the runnning bits provided 12:22 actually is in the "easy" range for you. That you felt ready for more points to my calculations being off or your pace being too slow for your current level of fitness.

I have no doubt that my

I have no doubt that my effort level on the faster bits put me well a above my LT threshold. Even though I was maintaining a comfortable feeling pace my HR was humming along on a steady upward curve from 165 BPM at the start of each run cycle to 180 BPM just before the walk breaks. My overall HR average for the outing was ~172 BPM.

Given these numbers it's interesting that I felt so good. I wasn't really all that winded while running. I even exchanged words (full sentences) with a few runners and walkers that I passed on the way. And as I said before... when I finished... I still felt fresh and ready for more. Also a day later and I'm not sore or tired at all. Maybe it was the cool temps ~48 F, maybe I just happened upon the perfect run/walk ratio for me, or maybe I was just having a good day?

For the record my usual Long Slow Distance run, one where I limit my effort by keeping my HR low 148-156 BPM, puts me at a 14-16 min/mi pace on most days. S L O W indeed... although these times have been improving as my overall conditioning has improved. I was hoping to have made better progress with regards to pace by now... hence my attempts of late are intended to give me a chance to break out of this pedestrian rut.

S. Pimp.

Swedish pimple - there's a

Swedish pimple - there's a line of thought that says that the two most important goals of the long run are to come back uninjured and come back happy. If you've done those, then you win.

If you like the walk breaks, then keep doing them! Who cares, really? It's all about you. I think everyone is different with the walk breaks. One of my running partners will stiffen up if he stops and walks, so he never does it. Personally, I don't get anything out of them, positive or negative.

I am still try to figure out

I am still try to figure out what works for me.

I often think I would be better off not knowing what my actual HR or even pace for that matter is, or was, during my training. But even though I have a tendency to over think things, the lure of raw data is just so darn appealing.

Maybe I should resolve to leave the technology at home at least once a week... and just run?

S. Pimp.

SP: Last year for my marathon

SP: Last year for my marathon and during long runs I still do a 15-20 second walk break every mile (9-10 min depending) and it seems to work well. I usually take big stretching steps to loosen everything up and take in fluids, GU's or Salt depending on what mile number. I have read about doing it for the first half of a marathon and then not for the rest. I did it through mile 20 last year and have been doing it every mile on my long runs (10mi or more) this year now being BF.

I think Barefoot Rick notes it best in his Marathon reports:

"I am a marathon runner and do not prescribe to a run/walk method for MY marathons. Likewise, I do not judge anyone else for "finishing" a marathon in whatever way they can propel themselves across the finish line, whether it be walking, crawling, etc. All marathon finishes are notable in their own regard"

I can also agree that this means ANY distance as a runner...as long as you had fun!

Cheating on what? That

Cheating on what? That implies there are rules. :)

But on a more technical note, I have observed in myself that, especially near the start of a run, when my body is trying to settle in to the activity of running, short walk breaks seem to be very helpful in terms of getting me in to the groove. I think what happens is that my body is holding some unnecessary tension (perhaps from non-running life, perhaps from some unrealistic expectations I have for the run), which shortens my breath and keeps me a bit too stiff. If I walk for as little as 10 or 15 seconds my breath will kind of re-set, some of the bodily tension will drop away, and when I move on I feel like I have a lot more energy. Later in the run these breaks aren't necessary for me.

Anyway, sounds like you are listening to your body, that's the important thing.

I just run for pure enjoyment

I just run for pure enjoyment and fitness so no concern about stopping to walk or not. I usually will stop and walk for about a minute or so at the half way point.

Guess it just depends on your running objectives.

Walking breaks are not only

Walking breaks are not only not cheating (as someone pointed out earlier... there are rules????), but excellent strategy. Almost all ultrarunners employ some form of walk breaks almost religiously, although these breaks often change based on terrain. For instance, on flats I walk 2 min ever half hour, which is also when I take an electrolyte tab and eat (to get to the ~270cal/hour I need to take in to go forever and also ensure I don't get hyponatremic, albeit really only applies to runs over ~2 hours).

I've heard of others that walk 30 sec every 5 min, 1 min every 10 min, 2 min our of every 15 min, etc. Whatever works for you. And, of course, I walk any hill over ~4%. Yes, I can certainly run up a hill that's 7% just fine for miles, but it tears you down faster than the speed gain you get. If your objective is a hill workout, run it. If it's race strategy training for a hilly course, walk it.

Sure, if your average runs are an hour or less, it probably doesn't matter that much. However, I walk 2 min every half hour (and on uphills) anyway even on short runs so that I'm practicing on short runs what I'll be doing on long runs. By long runs, I'm referring here to anything from 2 hours up to 24+ hours.

I don't think walking is

I don't think walking is cheating or below running. I think whatever you can do to get yourself across the finish line, aside from hitchhiking, is perfectly fine. This is especially important in ultramarathons, especially the LONG ones of 50, 100 + miles. I'm sure you'll find EVERYONE taking a walk break now and again on those bad boys.

Welcome, Ken!  Where are you

Welcome, Ken! Where are you standing in that avatar. Looks beautiful!

Hey TJ,That's one of the

Hey TJ,

That's one of the "Bens" (aka mountain-ish things) in northwest Ireland. For some reason I picked a week in Ireland where it rained a total of 15 minutes, which made for spectacular running through the mountains, along the coastal cliffline, and along the rocky coast, culminating in a sweet ultra race along the southwest coastline. Allegedly, it normally rains in Ireland all the time. Or so they tell me...

Thanks for this awesome website. Beautifully done, and I'm loving the rational approach to it all.

-Ken

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7