Any strategies, shoes, socks for recovery if/when soles start giving out during a run?

Sid

Barefooters
Jan 1, 2011
Florida
Although, I'm building mileage gradually and watching my form, I worry that there might come a time when I'll need to put on shoes to complete a run or race, if my soles start getting too sore.

I got up to 9 miles barefoot today (8 on rough asphalt), and so far so good! Not too sore, feels all right.
Rough asphalt

I'll probably carry the Aqua Lites and some socks, when I don't run around my neighborhood. I tried drymax hyper thin socks after my run today, but they didn't provide any cushion or comfort obviously. I then tried the opposite, drymax maximum protection, and they felt pretty good. I think that they would provide a nice break, so that I could finish a run, or maybe even just rest a bit, then take them off again.

What do other people wear to give their feet a rest? Thanks!

I wear my huaraches when I need to. I just retrofitted my Luna ATS with a solid lacing system (hated the ATS straps, too many seams and hard to adjust) similar to Bedrock Sandals and am contemplating going out for a test run in them even though today is supposed to be my off day.

Reactions: Sid
Huaraches, sound like an excellent idea. Though, I've never liked flip-flips due to the Y-shaped straps between my toes, yet, I love the Dopie's.

I still have some cherry vibram from making sandals. Maybe I'll try to make some huaraches, when I get the chance. Thanks!

I wanted to retrofit the Lunas so the strapping was like the Unshoes Pah Tempe, as that does not go between the toes, but unfortunately the Lunas were to narrow for me to do this.

Although, I'm building mileage gradually and watching my form, I worry that there might come a time when I'll need to put on shoes to complete a run or race, if my soles start getting too sore.

I got up to 9 miles barefoot today (8 on rough asphalt), and so far so good! Not too sore, feels all right.
Rough asphalt

I'll probably carry the Aqua Lites and some socks, when I don't run around my neighborhood. I tried drymax hyper thin socks after my run today, but they didn't provide any cushion or comfort obviously. I then tried the opposite, drymax maximum protection, and they felt pretty good. I think that they would provide a nice break, so that I could finish a run, or maybe even just rest a bit, then take them off again.

What do other people wear to give their feet a rest? Thanks!

I carrie these around in case my feet get sore;)zilch.jpg

Sid, I often run with a fanny pack (hee hee, I said "fanny") with a pair of VFFs or huaraches tucked inside. Many of my runs combine pavement and rough trails, so I start out barefoot and then I can put the shoes on when the surface gets too rough for my feet. Also, never be afraid to take a break and walk for a little while if you are tired and sore.

Reactions: Sid and dutchie53
Thanks for the tips! I do have an inov-8 Race Pac 3 Running Waistpack. (It's pretty much a fanny pack.) I can fit a pair of minimalist shoes in there. Though, all of you folks with huaraches and running sandals has me thinking that I need to make a pair to try out. Thanks!

I've heard of someone else trying socks but think they had problems burning through them after very long (I mean in 1 run). Kevlar was brought up, but dont know if any kevlar socks were found or tried.

I got a pair of Unshoes Feathers a month ago which are small enough to roll up and stuff into a pocket, or what I typically do is thread em onto the belt of my 'fuel belt' (I got this one for cheap: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ZIEJSO/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00) I use it for water, its only 8oz x2 but thats good for me for the 5-8 miles I am doing now. I've never been able to carry vibrams a way I was happy with, they are just too big to put in a pocket imo.

Rough asphalt

i cut 4 finger part of a cotton gloves the thumb part remains, wear it in my feet with the thumb part into the toe of my feet. wrap two layer of duct tape around along the balls of feet. works really well if your running on rough asphalt. barefoot feel is almost 100%. Id been putting mileage on it. really great. duct tape is not even torn. Ill show picture when I get a chance. use a hand gloves that is elastic on the wrist part so it get a good fit, the palm part should fall on the ball part of our feet. you can make a spare for use on long run.

Thank you everyone for all of your thoughtful suggestions! I definitely need to make a pair of huaraches to try. My aqua lites arrived, and they feel good. They're flexible with a wide toe box, so it was easy to adapt to them. So, at least that's an option for minshoes.

we barefoot runners should be smarter than those big shoe company still trying to make a buck from minimalist shoes that are coming out to market that doesnt really have a barefoot feel and even more expensive than their previous cushioned design. We should gather our design ideas for a gear that offer the most barefoot feel most protection, cheap to make, get it tested, put some mileage on it, get it made in China, sell it really cheap, get more runners to enjoy it, more barefooter, profit can go to BRS.

we barefoot runners should be smarter than those big shoe company still trying to make a buck from minimalist shoes that are coming out to market that doesnt really have a barefoot feel and even more expensive than their previous cushioned design. We should gather our design ideas for a gear that offer the most barefoot feel most protection, cheap to make, get it tested, put some mileage on it, get it made in China, sell it really cheap, get more runners to enjoy it, more barefooter, profit can go to BRS.

Now that's an idea,especially the non rip off philosophy;)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7