Any musicians out there?

Woodsman

Barefooters
Jan 13, 2012
Hello,

So my wife just bought me a guitar and lessons for my 41st birthday. Apparently I mentioned it was something I wanted to try several times. I guess it's not so bad as far as mid-life crisis go. I had my first ever lesson on Tuesday. I quickly realized I'll need to toughen my fingers up like I toughened my feet up over the past several months.

Any musicians out there have any advice? Any other late starters?

Hello,

So my wife just bought me a guitar and lessons for my 41st birthday. Apparently I mentioned it was something I wanted to try several times. I guess it's not so bad as far as mid-life crisis go. I had my first ever lesson on Tuesday. I quickly realized I'll need to toughen my fingers up like I toughened my feet up over the past several months.

Any musicians out there have any advice? Any other late starters?
Learn the fundamentals--good hand position, scales, arpeggios, harmonic theory, etc. It will pay dividends later, even though right now all you may want to do is play one of your favorite songs. Also, make sure the guitar is playable. I'd suggest a decent quality nylon-string guitar for beginners.

Reactions: clawhammer72
Both my brother and I started guitars back when we were kids. My brother took lessons and I just played whatever. We both still play after 40+ years, but he can play any sheet music whereas I play lead guitar but just by ear. Stick with the lessons to be more versatile.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Your fingers will toughen up soon. More important, watch out to avoid tightness in your hands or fingers. Keep relaxed. Just like barefoot running, take it slow and start off right. It will pay off in the end. Have fun with it, and be patient with yourself. The guitar can keep you learning for the rest of your life.

Your fingers will toughen up soon. More important, watch out to avoid tightness in your hands or fingers. Keep relaxed. Just like barefoot running, take it slow and start off right. It will pay off in the end. Have fun with it, and be patient with yourself. The guitar can keep you learning for the rest of your life.
That sounds like a great approach to a bunch of pass-times!

Reactions: clawhammer72
Thanks good the advice everyone. My wife already bought me an acoustic which was recommended as a good starter by the music store in town. I keep hearing I should start with electric because they are easier to play but I figure starting on the harder instrument will give be better technique in the long run. Does that sound right?

I am not in a big rush. For me it is as much an intellectual exercise as it is about playing music. I feel like I have not learned anything new in a while and need to exercise my brain a bit.

I keep hearing I should start with electric because they are easier to play but I figure starting on the harder instrument will give be better technique in the long run. Does that sound right?
As long as you don't get discouraged by a more difficult instrument, I think it's OK. The main thing, no matter if it's steel string, nylon, or electric, is to make sure it's playable, that is, make sure the neck is true and the string height is set-up properly. It might be worth you while to take it to a luthier to make sure. I have a guy I've been going to for thirty years. I remember when I bought my first fretless bass in high school. The guy set it up properly and all of a sudden I could play it twice as well.

Thanks good the advice everyone. My wife already bought me an acoustic which was recommended as a good starter by the music store in town. I keep hearing I should start with electric because they are easier to play but I figure starting on the harder instrument will give be better technique in the long run. Does that sound right?

I am not in a big rush. For me it is as much an intellectual exercise as it is about playing music. I feel like I have not learned anything new in a while and need to exercise my brain a bit.
I would actually strongly recommend AGAINST starting with an electric. People pick up a lot of terrible habits with electric guitars and get more worried about messing around with all the sounds you can do instead of learning the basics. Sounds like your wife got you a good guitar to start with. I used to play mostly an acoustic steel string guitar but haven't played seriously for many years now. I saw an Army buddy of mine this past winter and he plays and so I played with him for a little bit. Surprised I still remembered anything, and then I was surprised that my buddy actually wanted me to teach him a song that I knew. I miss music and want to buy another guitar as well as I want to get a nice keyboard (too poor for a piano) so I can start teaching myself to play that too again. When I was younger I had started teaching myself how to play but then life must have gotten hectic, don't remember why I stopped learning.

As long as you don't get discouraged by a more difficult instrument, I think it's OK. The main thing, no matter if it's steel string, nylon, or electric, is to make sure it's playable, that is, make sure the neck is true and the string height is set-up properly.
+1 This is very important. I still have an old guitar that is virtually unplayable because the neck is no longer true and the strings are really high off the fretboard. What do you expect though with an inherited 90+year old guitar though?

I play old blues slide guitar, Robert Johnson style, but haven't sold my soul yet, if you know the story of the crossroads. I also play a bit of five string banjo but it sound more like I'm strangling a cat than music.
Learning an instrument is a great pathway to self expression, I've found out some pretty profound stuff about myself just by picking a few strings.
First learn the theory, then find the emotion to drive it along, the two go hand in hand. Have fun, and I'll reserve two front row seats if your tour includes the U.K. :)
Oh, and if you're ever drunk at a party, and there is a guitar hanging about, never pick it up and start playing 'stairway to heaven' or 'smoke on the water' trust me it's not a cool thing to do ;)

Reactions: Bare Lee and NickW
.... Robert Johnson style, but haven't sold my soul yet, if you know the story of the crossroads......
....and if you're ever drunk at a party, and there is a guitar hanging about, never pick it up and start playing 'stairway to heaven' or 'smoke on the water' trust me it's not a cool thing to do ;)

Made my deal, and Scratch lets me play Stairway to Freebird at parties...for now.

You did the right thing getting a steel string acoustic. Electric is easier to play, but you want to build up some nice thick calluses on that steel string guitar. Your fingers will hurt for a few weeks but it will go away fast.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts