Anteior Ankle Pain

bumtickerj

Barefooters
Nov 14, 2010
A little background:

I've been attempting to adapt to BFR since buying a pair of VFFs in late September; I started of slow and with short distances, and didn't have much pain, just the usual calf soreness and slight tightness in the achilles' tendon. Fast forward a few months and resets in training, I now find that when I run on road/track I have a distinct ankle pain on the front of the leg/anterior portion of where leg meets the foot that occurs with impact.

As far as I can tell I'm landing on fore-foot with a slight impact of heal; I'm not sure if I'm doing some sort of strike and roll or have my foot pointed at too great of an angle. The problem occurs slightly more in the left ankle than the right, but I feel it in both.

I've never had weak ankles or ankle problems before. I tried to run a bit in standard trainers and didn't feel any pain, but hated having to run in clunky heavy shoes and be heal striking again. I also tried running on grass and didn't feel the pain (perhaps from the added cushion of wet ground).

This wouldn't be a problem if all I did was run trails, but I'm a triathlete and have to spend time on the road for training and races.

Has anyone experienced such a problem or have any ideas for a fix it or alter my technique?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome!  Can I call you

Welcome! Can I call you Bum?
regular_smile.gif
Have you tried running truly barefoot? If so, do you still experience this pain when running barefoot or after running barefoot? Some people have noted that they are able to run with less problems when they run barefoot versus in something minimal like the VFFs. I run much more lightly and gently when I run barefoot versus huaraches (and I am faster). When I run with something on my feet, VFFs, huaraches, socks, aqua shoes, I notice my feet feel more fatigued during and after my runs, fatigue bordering on pain. I've noticed twinges of pain in my ankle/s at times, I've noticed I strike with my heel more often and harder, I've noticed my plantar fascia bearing more load, etc. In order to run my best and with less pain, I have to run barefoot. Try running with nothing on your feet to see if you still experiences problems AND to work on your form, so that if/when you do move back over to minimalist footwear, you will have healthier, stronger feet and a better form to help you compensate for the lack of ground feel and perception.

How is your dorsiflexion

How is your dorsiflexion looking when you're pre-foot strike? Are you keeping your feet and lower legs relaxed and loose or are you tensing up a bit, putting increased dorsiflexion stress on your extensor digitorum longus (front of your tibia, connecting to your toes). Increased usage of your extensor digitorum longus may tighten the muscle and possibly create some of your discomfort there if the tight muscle is putting a lot of stress pull. Just a thought. are you giving your ankle a good plantar flexed stretch post run?

@ TJI normally run with

@ TJ

I normally run with VFFs; I have Raynaud's and being wintertime, I have to struggle just to get a decent run in (no treadmills for me). I may try doing some barefoot drills and things indoors to see if there's a difference and to help strengthen my technique.

-And yes, Bum is fine.

@ Zumba

-I think I have too much dorsiflexion on impact, I just tested myself after reading your post and definitely feel like my foot is tensed and flexed so I feel it more when I strike. There isn't any point tenderness at the insertion of the EDL nor on any point on my foot/ankle, only on impact.

I usually do a lot of stretching/massaging daily and after runs. I got used to seriously stretching and massaging/rolling my calfs and medial lower leg, but I can see how it would be hard to massage the EDL and anything that originates anteriorly. Do you have any recommendations for specific warmup or cooldown stretching for it?

Thanks for your feedback guys/gals.

Bum, then spring can't come

Bum, then spring can't come fast enough for you. I'm curious to know how your ankles feel after getting several barefoot miles behind you. Good luck!