another upside to barefoot running....

ajb422

Barefooters
Sep 28, 2010
...people will say good morning to you.

Alot of my runs are done in fairly populated areas with lots of runners, bikers, and walkers. When I started bf running I didn't know how to handle the strange looks. So since people were looking at me anyways I started saying good morning to everyone. Seemed better than awkwardly looking away and feeling slightly embarrassed. I was pleasantly surprised to see that nearly everyone responded in kind with a smile. I've learned to really enjoy these small interactions.

So when I've tried to carry this over to my shod runs and I thought I would get the same response. Nope. I'm lucky if I can get every other person to say anything back to me, or even act like they saw me for that matter. Even the ones that do say something back keep their "I'm exercising hard" scowl on their face. I miss my morning smiles and good mornings. Perhaps this will be the final kick to get me to push my long runs into barefoot territory.

When I was running shod, I

When I was running shod, I noticed that only the runners/walkers around my age(2 out of 3) would respond. (bikers never do... :puzzled:) I won't be back on the running path till spring, so I guess ill find out if its the same for me and let you know.

women my own age never

women my own age never respond, I've actually quit trying with them regardless of whether I have shoes on. I find it weird actually.

A few bikers will say hello to me. The mountain bikers are the ones I can always get responses from. They seem like a much happier crowd then the road bikers.

The mountain bikers know that

The mountain bikers know that their existence is dependent on their behaviour, at least that's the case here. Who gets trail access and so on depends very much on public opinion so most tend to go out of their way to be nice. Sneaky, isn't it? ;)

Very sneaky. Makes sense of

Very sneaky. Makes sense of things for me though. There's been times I was totally in the wrong on paths and they went out of their way to apologize to me. I thought it was overly nice and very non-Californian of them. But I suppose they are probably the first to lose trail access.

I find that guys(when they

I find that guys(when they don't totally avoid eye contact, and ignore me) tend to just give me a nod, instead of a good morning. I just assumed girls were more talkative, or less competitive...?

Yeah I get alot of head nods

Yeah I get alot of head nods from younger guys. When I'm barefoot I normally get at least a hello and a smile to go with it though. They almost seem surprised that someone talked to them. But people over about 30, 35 ish are when they actually start responding to me in real words. I think someone forgot to teach all the 20 somethings how to talk and run at the same time.

Lol, I used to be one of

Lol, I used to be one of those guys. One day I went running, and my mp3 players battery was dead. I was so bored trudging along in my foot coffins, that I started greeting the other runners. Now it has become a habit, and feels rude if I pass somebody without saying hello.

ajb, in my experience, and

ajb, in my experience, and I'm very much biased here, mountain bikers tend to be an exceptionally nice bunch of people. Also, you're right. Mountain bikes are an easy target if you want to restrict trail access so it's in our best interest to make a good impression. Even here, where we've got a law (See here under the Sweden section: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_to_roam) stating that you can do just about anything just about anywhere, except for private gardens and farmed land, people try to limit trail access for bikers, blaming the mountain bikes for damage done by dirt bikes and so on. Time to stop before the ranting gets really serious, methinks. ;)

I always greet people on my

I always greet people on my runs. SInce I started running barefoot fewer people will respond now. I don't remember someone not saying "hi" when I ran shod. Its been an interesting change.

My husband is an MTBer. In fact, our entire family is very much a part of the mountain bike, BMX community. MTBers tend to be very cool people. Their vibe is about the stoke and the passion. Its very genuine. They may be worried about their trail access, but I guarantee you its not first and foremost on their minds. They are some FUN people to be around!

Blind Boy wrote:ajb, in my

Blind Boy said:
ajb, in my experience, and I'm very much biased here, mountain bikers tend to be an exceptionally nice bunch of people. Also, you're right. Mountain bikes are an easy target if you want to restrict trail access so it's in our best interest to make a good impression. Even here, where we've got a law (See here under the Sweden section: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_to_roam) stating that you can do just about anything just about anywhere, except for private gardens and farmed land, people try to limit trail access for bikers, blaming the mountain bikes for damage done by dirt bikes and so on. Time to stop before the ranting gets really serious, methinks. ;)

I was a trail runner who got into mountain biking when I was badly injured and decided to quite running. They are a much more inclusive group and don't seem to care what you wear or what you ride, but if your doin' it, then your one of us. Pretty similar to rhe BF tribe, I think.

Actually, the more I consider it, we are very closely related to the single speed tribe - keeping it simple and real and relying on the wonderfully formed human body to move us around.

As a biker, one thing I detested was the Ipod. Runners were in thier own little world and no matter how much noise you made, you still managed to scare the bejebbers out of them and more often than not, copped a mouthful of abuse.

ajb422 wrote: ...people will

ajb422 said:
...people will say good morning to you.

Alot of my runs are done in fairly populated areas with lots of runners, bikers, and walkers. When I started bf running I didn't know how to handle the strange looks. So since people were looking at me anyways I started saying good morning to everyone. Seemed better than awkwardly looking away and feeling slightly embarrassed. I was pleasantly surprised to see that nearly everyone responded in kind with a smile. I've learned to really enjoy these small interactions.

I like to take it one step further and when I'm out anywhere, I look people in the eye, smile and nod and more often than not, I'll get a response. At the very least, I feel good and get to see a lot of what is happening around me.

I find it very hard to get a

I find it very hard to get a response form other runner, most of them even avoid eye contact. I get more responses to my hellos form people walking their dogs or other non runners.
I find it extremely rude to not even nod at another runner when you are the only 2 persons on the road.

I just about always say Hi!

I just about always say Hi! or something unless they're heads are full of MP3. Then I give a wave as I go by. Often I call ahead "I'm sneaking up on you!" or some such because I've found that I'm so quiet BF that I've startled people.

Fito wrote: As a biker, one

Fito said:
As a biker, one thing I detested was the Ipod. Runners were in thier own little world and no matter how much noise you made, you still managed to scare the bejebbers out of them and more often than not, copped a mouthful of abuse.

So I've certainly been this person before. Once I hit mountain bike area and time (aka light out) I usually take one ear bud out but there's certainly been times I forgot and totally got scared by them. But I make sure to say the things outloud that they are probably thinking. Such as "thats what I get for running with an ipod" ect... I figure they are too nice to give me an earful but I fully deserve it so I'll do it for them :)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7