another BFR beginner. help & suggestions welcome

gisanders23

Barefooters
May 23, 2011
a bit of history:

been running for about 5+ years or so, longest I have ever gone is a Half Marathon (twice). Have always wanted to go further but anything over 8-10 miles always cripples me with knee pain for several days after. decided to give BFR a shot to fix my form and hopefully allow me to accomplish my goal of a full marathon someday. started reading online and watching videos from experts and of course read Born To Run

the Last month or so:

been walking barefoot 2-3 times per week on smooth concrete, maybe 1/2 mile each time. just to get my feet adjusted to the feel/form. have also run several times (4-6 miles each) with my traditional running shoes on but while concentrating on not heel striking, which works for the majority of the time until fatigue sets in.

Currently:

Just completed my 4th BFR, have only gone 1 - 1.5 - 2 miles each time, keeping them short and working on form, which is tough. Focusing on keeping my knees up, trying to not push off, especially on hills and turns. Feet are very tender in spots for 24-48 hours after each BFR, some blistering in spots but nothing too bad...skin not breaking just bubbling up a hair.

Just purchased a new pair of Vibram Five Finger Bikili LS yesterday. I plan to start using them on every other run, when my feet are more tender, this way I can get in more running and more form practice more quickly. Don't want to rush things but also hate waiting around, trying to find a good balance.

Have a 10K next weekend (11 days away) and I'm not sure how I am going to run it yet. I'm hoping maybe 2-3 runs in the VFF will allow me to get accustom to them so I can try em out...but I'm nervous of running that far and injuring myself. I may just have to suck it up and use the old shoes.

I'd say don't suck it up and

I'd say don't suck it up and run in the old ones. They could be your catalyst that does your knees in once and for all. It's not worth the risk. The 10K is a bit too soon, IMO, for you at this point, but you could always walk it if you had to.

Good luck and welcome!

gisanders23 wrote:Don't want

gisanders23 said:
Don't want to rush things but also hate waiting around, trying to find a good balance.

I would recommend doing something other than running instead of either sitting around or doing too much too soon. Who knows you may even find another hobby besides running.

appreciate the feedback

appreciate the feedback everyone

My gut tells me the 10K will be too soon in the VFF, will be hard not to try em out. Does anyone see any issues with switching back and fourth between BF and the VFF? My end goal to actually be able to run true BF.

and I am def resorting to other activities while going thru this transitioning. lots of bike rides

The main issue with using any

The main issue with using any minimalist shoe is pushing beyond what your feet and body can handle. I've seen a lot of people get major injuries going that route. You really need to give your body a chance to recover and running everyday is not the best way to do that.

But I'm not going to tell you

But I'm not going to tell you not to do your 10k either. It was just a friendly warning. You need to decide for yourself.

gisanders23 wrote:My end goal

gisanders23 said:
My end goal to actually be able to run true BF.

I think mixing in the VFF might be counterproductive at this point. While they will protect your skin, they'll probably allow you to get sloppy and punish the REST of your body more.... especially when you go longer distances. Quoting from our own Library..

"a recent paper by Hamill et al suggests a reason why: runners unaccustomed to the barefoot running style will continue to heel strike even in shoes as thin as 4mm. However, they will stop heel striking, even without instruction, when truly barefoot."

For people who are experienced runners, the biggest problem with transitioning to barefoot seems to be the reduction in miles that it involves. It's an awkward phase that I know frustrates some people. But I think if you stick with the true BF and use the VFFs only in emergencies you'll be rewarded with practice that will let you increase your distances later.

Godspeed!

excellent feedback...THANKS

excellent feedback...THANKS Stomper!

i'm gonna feel it out for sure. excited to try the VFF but more concerned with taking the proper steps to become a true BFR over time

Great advice, Abide and

Great advice, Abide and Stomper. These guys know their stuff.

I would say the safest and fastest way for you to accomplish your goal of running truly barefoot is to ditch the shoes and run barefoot. (Only use minimalist footwear (only) when it is truly needed.) After all, the best way to learn how to run barefoot is by...running barefoot. And I can speak from experience. I've been running barefoot for 2 years and 7 months now, and I still heelstrike when I run in a plain old pair of socks. After all this time of running barefoot, I still resort back to my old bad habits, and most average Joe runners will do the same. I tried the "transitioning" method (not going cold turkey as I should have; carrying my shoes and switching back and forth), and it has taken me much longer to get where I am at. I have been fortunate in that I haven't been injured while running barefoot or in shoes during that time, but others who go back and forth from footwear to barefoot tend to experience some sort of adjustment injury, whereas it doesn't happen as often to those who go cold turkey. The reason is they have no false sense of security that tells them it's okay to run farther than their musculoskeletal system is ready, a clue their plantar skin is able to signal.

Everyone, thank Stomper for the AWESOME job he is doing with the Library. Without Stomper, we wouldn't have this valuable resource to help us through this.

I started with the VFFs and

I started with the VFFs and I'm wishing I'd started with BFR. I ran naked feet this weekend for the first time and I think I would be further along than I am if I would have started that way! High School coaches beat into you the "no pain no gain", "growth is in the struggle" and "rub some dirt on it and get back in there, kid", so I had my share of too much too soon pain. Mostly in the form of bruises on the bottom of my feet and top of the foot pain. Sounds like you have a handle on things though. I'll be curious to know what you decide when it gets closer to race time and how you like the VFFs...

-Jonny

loving this forum, thanks

loving this forum, thanks again to everyone

i am torn for sure. already signed up (and paid) for the 10K of course, and its with a few friends so i REALLY want to run it. but it is just a 10K, not that big a deal.

choices are:

(1) - run it barefoot (not really an option cause i'm only up to 1-2 miles at this point)

(2) - run it in VFF (also kinda not an option since I'll only have 2-3 practice runs in them prior to the race, or is it?)

(3) - use my traditional running shoes (maybe an option since i've run in them in past month and got a good workout of my calves while not heel striking THAT much, I don't think)

(4) - Walk it (booo! that's no fun)

(5) - Skip it (even less fun)

hmmmm...decisions decisions

Run the first mile barefoot,

Run the first mile barefoot, walk the next 4.22, then run the last mile barefoot. Tell your friends to wait for you at the finish line to make sure they get pictures of you crossing it barefoot.

Barefoot TJ wrote:Run the

Barefoot TJ said:
Run the first mile barefoot, walk the next 4.22, then run the last mile barefoot. Tell your friends to wait for you at the finish line to make sure they get pictures of you crossing it barefoot.

honestly, i'm thinking about maybe using the VFF in some fashion like that. not sure

I do want (in the end) to end up being able to run long(er) distances BF but also want to be able to use the VFF in situations where it just isn't safe/comfortable with zero protection. like in the hot texas summer on asphalt, or in the big city (NYC) or when trail running, etc

VFFs are fine for those

VFFs are fine for those extreme temps or terrains, but it's best to not make it a habit; it's best not to make it your footwear of choice; and it's best to first learn how to run truly barefoot before relying on any type of footwear.

Your footwear of choice should be your own two feet. ;-)

I totally agree with Stomper

I totally agree with Stomper and Abide. With the VFF you risk slowing down your progression to good form and risk injury by going too far before your body is ready. Wait a few month. In the meantime run barefoot, with short sections of very unpleasant surface (bend your knees more and relax) and take enough rest to let your body adapt to this new activity. Barefoot running is more about proper form than about thought soles, the rough terrain will teach you good form faster.

Once in a while just go for a barefoot run without thinking of anything, forget about your technique, just enjoy the run.

If you really want to wear the VFF now anyway (bad idea IMHO) I would recommend running barefoot for 1 mile, preferably on unpleasant surface, then put the VFF on for 1 mile or less and try to keep the same form.

Regarding your race, I think it's too soon to run it either barefoot or in VFF. You may do it anyway, be lucky and not get injured, but I don't think it's worth taking a chance.

I know, many people switch from regular shoes to VFF and are OK, including my husband who doesn't want to even try running barefoot. But many get injured in VFF because the foot protection enables them to do too much too soon. If your goal is to run barefoot then run barefoot.

After 1 year of running my goal is different. I want to be able to use minimalist shoes when I need to or want to, without detrimental change to my form. Since I'm a slow learner it's taking a long time but I'm getting there.

Good luck with your progression

gisanders23 wrote:Does anyone

gisanders23 said:
Does anyone see any issues with switching back and fourth between BF and the VFF? My end goal to actually be able to run true BF.

Lots of great advice here already from people with a lot more experience than me, so I'll keep it short:

I know that the way each individual's feet adapt to BFR is different, but in my case, after 7 months of mostly (there was a pretty snowy winter month of minimilist in there) pure barefoot, my skin is capabale of handeling MUCH longer distances and speeds than the muscles, ligaments, tendons, and all that inner stuff are ready for, which is making it prett difficult to keep from doing TMTS. If your goal is to be a naked-foot runner, use the advantage of tender skin as a guide in the beginning and save the VFFs for kicking around town and for the winter. :)

gisanders - I TOTALLY know

gisanders - I TOTALLY know how you feel. Although I avoided signing up for races while beginning my transition I really wanted to run! I tried going back and forth between BF and VFF and got IT Band flare ups and achilles pain as a result. My form just sucked in the VFFs and I was pushing to run 6 miles and increase my pace a bit in them (I wanted to run with my old running club). Not smart. I am now finally climbing out of that hole.

I would say run the first couple miles BF then put your VFFs on and walk. Do what you gotta do, but absolutely listen to your body. If you have any twinges or pains anywhere no matter how small give yourself a walk break. Trust me. One race is not worth months of not being able to run because you HAD to run this race.

Just my two cents. Take it for what its worth. Please post and let us know how your race went. Good luck!

Oh and drink plenty of water

Oh and drink plenty of water and maybe try rolling your calves really good before the race to pre-empt any possible issues in case you feel the need to overdue it.

thanks again to everyone for

thanks again to everyone for chiming in. i will certainlly update everyone on how things go.

ran 1.5 miles BF this morning and have very tender feet right now. i think a 1-1.5 mile BF run every OTHER morning is what I'm shooting for as of now, as that seems like about enough time for my feet to recoupe, but yet enough repition to retain some consistancy

i am gonna test out the VFF next week at least on a short run to see how they feel.

still up in the air about the race though
puzzled.png

I vote 1, then 2 and

I vote 1, then 2 and alternate 4 and 5...wait...what kind of skipping are we talking here? La-la-lalala-la kind or like not going??

-Jonny

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7