ALS 4 Miler Race Report

jschwab

Barefooters
Jun 16, 2010
Capmikee and I ran this race with a work team to raise money for the ALS clinic that my coworker's husband is being treated at. It was a good turnout with ten people in our team, some walkers, some runners. I'm not sure how much money we raised yet, but I think it will be a nice amount.

In August I ran a 5K race barefoot with the same race organizers and ran 10:46 pace. I was hoping to go faster at the ALS race, but wasn't sure how I'd be able to do - I have not been very good about tracking speed workouts. I finished with a pace of 10:20 in Bikilas running with a chest cold and fever, which I thought was a very respectable improvement on my August 5K pace. I didn't feel good about my performance due to the cold and fever, but I had to feel good with my time. Waddaya think?

Here's a pic of me and Capmikee after the race. I look super red. I get red when I run anyway, but I was really blotchy from the fever for this race - my whole body was red and covered in "dew". I made the t-shirts!

The biggest issue besides keeping up hydration with the cold and not overheating with the fever was that my Bikilas which have been fine for up to ten miles of LSD hurt like hell around the toes after the first two miles at race pace. What is that? My toes were squished with marks when I took them off after the race. I plan to wear them for a half at the end of November (slower pace) so I'm worried.

Very cute!  That's a great

Very cute! That's a great pace, J.

Maybe your feet swell quicker the faster you run?

I don't know. I think alot of

I don't know. I think alot of things hurt more the faster I run, so who knows? It was pretty unbearable, but maybe with the injinjis? I want there to be microfibr injinjis like ladies' tights material.

10:20 is pretty much blazing hot quick for me, actually. Mike went 34:45 - slower than McMillan wants given his mile time, but an awesome pace for him given his complete indiference to training :) (8:40).

I ran the next day, too,

I ran the next day, too, partially feeling like I was going to fall asleep (closed my eyes a couple times) and that finally did me in... It was not a high fever, just enough to make me sweat like a pig and drink Gatorade for the first in forever, not as bad ass as it sounds :)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7