Aloha from Hawaii

FreeYourToes

Barefooters
Nov 23, 2010
Hi. The name is Eric. I am in the Army for 4 years and they sent me to this wonderful place called Hawaii to live. I have been here for over 3 years (well 2 counting deployments). I started going barefoot looking for a way to toughen and strengthen my feet for ruck marches (forced movement with upwards of 70 pounds on your back in boots) and walking turned to running and here I am. I have been barefoot for acouple months now. Only started running barefoot/minimalist for the last 2. I have started to run more barefoot and use my VFF for walking around (going barefoot into stores makes for a hard time shopping even in Hawaii). I have run several 5k's barefoot, being the only one running completely barefoot. I have yet to see anyone else run barefoot, but I am sure that there are others on this island of Oahu. Being here is expensive, but I guess it makes up for it because I can continue running all year without what you call "seasons" and "winter".

I just figured I would make an intro post and ask this question- anyone have any recomendations to minimalist footwear that I can wear during PT. I have asked about my VFF and got a stern no from the higher-ups. Something that looks more like a traditional running shoe I can get away with (I have looked at the evos but for 160, I am hoping there is something a little less costly.

One more question- I will be home in Connecticut during March before I deploy again, anyone know of any races/running events in CT at that time?

Thanks- Eric

Welcome, Eric.  Thank you for

Welcome, Eric. Thank you for your service! We have a chapter in Connecticut. You can contact the Chapter President (Here's his Link ----> Adam G.) or post a note in the Connecticut forum below to find out if there are any local events where you will be or to find a running partner.

Eric, you might check out

Eric, you might check out this buyers guide and find a minimalist footwear option that might be more acceptable to the higher-ups. Oh, and one other thing...Welcome to the BRS! ;-)

http://www.barefootrunners.org/build2/forum-topic/run-free-2010-minimalist-footwear-review-buyers-guide-now-available

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7