Achilles tendonitis/osis

scharrison

Dear Docs,

I have been runing barefoot or in huaraches sinch March 2010 and completed my first marathon in huaraches in April 2011, I had no problem building up to the distance and no problems immediately after, however since that time I have continued to run about 30 miles per week and over last 3 months I have noticed my left achilles getting progressivly more tender to touch. The area of tenderness is right on the tendon at same height of ankle bones, very local i.e ot tender within 1/2" above or below. Running has been a mix or barefoot and sandals. It has now started to hurt a little when just walking around after sitting at my desk.

I took a couple of weeks off running in early august and only used a rowing machine but I noticed no real improvment.

I understand that full rest is probably my highest priority along with ensuring my calves are not too tight or knotted, but on the following things I have become quite confused with so many conflicting sources of information

Ice or heat - I have seen both recommended and both warned against for the achilles

Compression (Prosport) support brace - is their any value in this during run or at other times ?

self massage or do not touch it

Stretching or eccentric calf raises

Any clarity provided in these area, or other would be greatly appreciated

Stuart

Hi Stuart,I would definately

Hi Stuart,

I would definately recommend full rest for now. If you keep stressing that Achilles it just won't heal. Since it is no longer acute, I usually recommend heat over ice, but don't over-do it, 10-15 minutes is plenty. Gentle self massage will help with circulation and spasticity in the calf muscles.

Almost as important as full rest is NO active stretching or eccentric work. It is already irritated. Do the gentle self massage (I use a rolling pin) and when you are pain free you can start some stretching.

There's my opinions. Cheers and good luck.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7