A strange thing is happening

megabarefoot

Barefooters
May 11, 2011
Sooo, I've had muscle burning in my right quads for several weeks. It's the type of soreness you'd feel if you were to work a muscle and it starts to burn as you reach a limit. I'm adopted a training schedule to help deal with it and it seems to be helping but it's very slow and I physically can't push any farther/faster until this goes away. I've tried, it just won't happen. I still feel a slight burn at the start of the run but it doesn't stop me. The longer I go without stopping to stretch or break for a moment the harder it is to hold form because those muscles are becoming more fatigued. It's like they are becoming fatigued much much faster than they should be.

What irks me is that this wasn't an issue until several weeks ago. Prior to, I was capable of running 5k-10k once per week in addition to other runs and feel nothing. Perhaps I was doing something different compared to now I dunno. It's just strange considering my legs are fairly developed from years of running and doing squats. The usual spots that folks report during BFR transition no longer bother me. I don't get it. Why the muscle fatigue all of a sudden?

I dunno, it's just odd; seems out of place. Any one else ever experience something like this?

Maybe you should have your

Maybe you should have your Vitamin D level checked. A study I read about stated that 93% of all people admitted to the hositpal (for whatever reason) are Vitamin D deficient. A deficiency in Vitamin D causes sore and weak muscles. Look into it. Make sure they test your Vitamin D-25H level.

If you don't get tested, at least start taking D-3. It doesn't hurt (unless you take it in high, high doses), and the sooner you start, the sooner you'll start to feel better.

Here's something I posted here awhile back. It's something to consider:

I had a blood test done a long time ago, and they found that I have/had a Vitamin D deficiency. I posted this to one of your previous threads back in May of last year here, you may remember. I talk about fatigued muscles, but H.E. brings up another cause of general tiredness, so I thought I'd copy it here as well.

I've posted this before, elsewhere. I too drink a ton of milk and spend countless hours outside. Even in winter, I wear short sleeves, since I get hot easy when I run. Just something to think about. Next time you're at the docs, ask for this specific test.

A low level/Vitamin D deficiency can cause extreme muscle weakness that will not resolve on its own. Be sure they ask for a blood test to check your Vit D level, specifically 25(OH)D.

For everyone to consider when dealing with issues of tight calf muscles: This advice is not such a long-shot...read on...

I had also experienced extreme muscle fatigue and tightening in my calves while running. My neurologist (treating for Morton's Neuroma) ran some blood work and found that I also had a Vitamin D deficiency. It was strange since I had been taking 1,000 IU of Vit D per night for the past half year. I did a lot of research to find out what to do about my problem. Apparently, they're finding out that the 400 IU per day the government feels is adequate isn't so, according to one article I read. The article stated that 93% of people who go to the emergency room (for whatever reason) are Vit D deficient. There may just be a hidden epidemic here. I found that doctors prescribe 50,000 IU once per week for those with Vit D deficiency. (I read on some of the Vit D discussion forums that some people experienced head aches, tremors, etc., when taking high doses of Vit D all at once.) So I decided to take 4,000, then 5,000, now 6,000 IU each night. Within 2 -3 weeks I began noticing that the weakness in my calf muscles went completely away. I don’t have that problem anymore. There's a very informative .PDF on Vit D deficiency at: http://www.savvypatients.com/NEJM%20Vitamin%20D%20Review.pdf. Also, check out the many resources at: http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/. You can also get the liquid form of Vitamin D that works a lot quicker.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts