A glimmer of hope for us military personnel

FreeYourToes

Barefooters
Nov 23, 2010
I had heard a rumor that the unit I am a part of currently is going to start allowing what they call "alternative footwear" for the soldiers to wear during PT and in our PT uniform. So I started doing some research and finally found the policy for where I am stationed currently. For those who care to read it, it is here www.25idl.army.mil/PT/policyletter18.pdf

This is a pilot study, as far as I know the first of its kind in the Army. Those who take the course have to report on a monthly basis to decide whether or not to keep the policy/introduce it to other places. I take the class tomorrow and will be the first from my unit to do so. From what I found out so far the class is geared towards proper running mechanics, how to reduce injuries and run more efficiently. Not you need to buy vibrams/what shoe to buy. All plus' in my book since we are subjected to running and extreme forms of running on a daily basis

This other study well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/21/phys-ed-do-certain-types-of-sneakers-prevent-injuries/ shows that shoes "designed" for a person's foot does not reduce injuries compared to the "wrong" type of shoe in soldiers attending basic training.

Hopefully with the military taking a stance on this issue we will finally begin to see more transistion away from running shoes in general. After all, who would not listen to someone whose life depends on their feet?

I have found that some units

I have found that some units are allowed to wear VFFs during PTs and some are not; some COs are for it and some are not.

Questions:

Are they only providing proper running form training to those who wish to wear alternative footwear? I would think they should have offered that to those running in boat anchors long ago. EDIT: Oh wait, I see they added Newtons into the list of alternative footwear, so they are offering training to boat anchor runners.

Does this policy effect only one area, or is it branch-wide?

Anyone can take the course, 

Anyone can take the course, but the course is mandatory for those who want to wear alternative footwear during PT. I signed up 15 people from my platoon because they have slots available and maybe 4 or 5 of them have alternative footwear (vibrams). I am making them go regardless of if they want to run in vibrams because it never hurts to have your form looked at. In the 4 years I have been in the Army, they never offered this type of training before, i.e. how to run properly and have your form reviewed.

This policy is specific to my unit only, but it does open up the door to other units to do the same thing.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts