a gear review: The Merrell Trail Glove

AABarefoot

Barefooters
Apr 27, 2011
Synopsis: the Merrell Trail Glove is as close to a sneaker as you can get while still being minimalist. aka "dangerously comfortable"

I always like to try new shoes, thats how I got addicted to VFFs. So when I saw Merrell had put out a "barefoot" shoe I figured I owed it to them to try it out.

Upon first lacing up these shoes I thought I had my verdict. I hated them. Since "going barefoot" I havn't put on a pair of sneakers, so being laced into a shoe felt awful. In order to make it through the trial I loosened the laces as much as I could, but it only lessened the discomfort, it did not get rid of it. To compound the lacing discomfort the edges of the tongue have a tendency to roll over, which does not hurt immediately but WOW, after a couple hours, OUCH! So once I took care to not let them roll over that was also much better. I did like the mesh topside above the toes - it was nice to feel the wind on my toes.

OK, so I tried to ignore the laces and give an honest unbiased opinion on the rest of the shoe. I started by walking around my neighborhood. Once again, I thought I had decided their fate right then. the very tips of my toes were catching on the inside of the shoe, which was not painful, but it was annoying. It really wasn't looking good for these poor shoes!

And then I ran in them.

Up till now I did not have a lot of nice things to say about the shoes, but, once I started running, everything got better. All my toe discomfort/annoyance went away once they were broken in. They were very comfortable to run in, by far the most padding I've run on since starting to run barefoot, which isn't necessarily a good thing. I did tend to go back to bad habits of curling my toes inside the shoe. simply because they could. But overall, running in them was fine. not amazing. not bad. just fine.

My verdict: Here is what worries me. We all know that when people run "barefoot" but are in fact shod in minimal shoes, they have a tendency to hurt themselves because there is not enough feedback making it to the soles of their feet. Well the Merrell Trail Gloves are the king of this problem. Since they have way more padding than any VFF I worry that inexperienced runners could really hurt themselves due to over use. Although it is counter-intuitive, the shoes with the most padding should be left to only the most experienced barefoot runners. These would be a great shoe for very nasty ground conditions - very rocky trails, etc... but other than that application, I would NOT recommend these shoes for every day running in normal conditions.

one side note: I suppose someone wanting to run a very long distance could use these to protect their feet - but I fear that the same thing might happen there. i still think the closer you are to being barefoot the safer it is for you, making these shoes dangerously comfortable.

ORIGINAL BLOG POST

well, this is a PS to my

well, this is a PS to my earlier review. i was told i was a little harsh on my review of the shoes, and i may have been but at the same time i still think i was right. Here is the PS.

i initially wrote this review with the idea that people would be running in ONLY their minimal shoes. but think that its better to say that no matter what shoes you run in, so long as they allow for the Natural Gait, you should be doing actual barefoot training along with that. that allows for more refined technique in your gait/stride and thus alleviates a lot of the issues i had with suggesting the Trail Glove to people as their sole means of running.

If someone refuses to run barefoot at least some of the time, i stick to my earlier suggestion of staying away from the Trail Gloves.

"i just have found that the

"i just have found that the more and more people run ONLY in minimal shoes the more they hurt themselves. i keep coming back to barefoot running and everytime it renews my drive to be a succesful barefoot runner. it blows my mind how awesome it is."

I tried to reply this quote but it didn't show up, anyways this sums it up right here. Why hinder barefoot running with shoes, if being a better, stronger, more experienced barefoot runner is your goal. The Merrells are not for me, way to too narrow.

yea, i wrote the review for

yea, i wrote the review for people who wanted to run in minimal shoes. and thats all fine and good so long as you are doing training barefoot. this review is kind of redundant posted here, seeing as everyone should feel the same way. But i figured i would post it anyway.

haha if these are too narrow i feel bad for you! these are about as wide as my minimal shoes get!

Dont even attempt to put on the NewBalance ones!!! hahahaha

AABarefoot wrote:These would

AABarefoot said:
These would be a great shoe for very nasty ground conditions - very rocky trails, etc... but other than that application, I would NOT recommend these shoes for every day running in normal conditions.

Ya, dude. Hence the name: "TRAIL Glove." Your post isn't so much a review, where you would weight the merits and rate the features of the shoe, as much as it is a rant on minimalist shoes. You have to take into consideration a shoe's intended purpose when writing a review.

What if I were to write a minimalist shoe review on the Inov8 Baregrip 200 and run only on roads. Do you think my review would be very favorable? See my point?

For the record: I agree that barefoot > shod running any day of the week when conditions allow. But I would like to see you run my local trails bare.

I think that's too harsh. 

I think that's too harsh. The review wasn't particularly negative, and certainly wasn't a "rant". A reminder/warning isn't such a bad thing.

Besides, despite the name, Merrell has NOT discouraged road running in these. For example, read the Merrell rep here:

http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/runner-communities/barefoot-running/large-differences-between-true-glove-trail-glove

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon