~220Km in 4 days ... the plan (well, loose idea anyway)

BFwillie_g

Barefooters
May 17, 2010
Kulmbach, Germany
Ok, here's what I'm mulling over, hope I can 'splain in coherently (I just edited to make the distances and times more realistic, lol - who was I kidding???)

I want to run along part of the "Fränkischer Gebirgsweg" (don't worry about how to pronounce it, you can't anyway, and it's basically a long marked trail, very nice, sometimes quite technical and hilly, that snakes through a lot of little towns and cities here in Northern Bavaria. Here's a link: http://www.fraenkischer-gebirgsweg.de/strecke/).

My idea:

• Day I: Drive to a village along the trail and rent a room. Drive about 50k back to another village further up the trail, park the car and run along the trail back to the village where I rented the room. Spend the night there.

>> 50k for the day, total Km = 50
  • Day II: Get up with the sun, have a little breakfast, check-out and run the 50k back up the the trail to where I left my car.

>> morning run = 50k, total Km = 100k

Day II, Pt II: drive to a village about 30k further along the trail, rent a room, drive back to the village where I slept the night before, run the 30k back to where I booked the second room. Sleep there.

>> Day's Km = 80, total Km = 130k
  • Day III: get up with the sun, breakfast, run the 30k back to my car.

>> morning run= 30k

Same Spiel as before, new room about 30k further along the trail, drive back to village where I slept the night before, leave car, run to new room, sleep there.

>> 2nd run of the day =30k, day's total = 60, run total at this point = 190K

• Day IV

Get up with the sun, breakfast, checkout, run back to my car, drive to village where I slept, get whatever stuff I have lying aroud there. Drive home

Day's Km = 30, total 220km
How does my math add up?

Now, I intend to have lot's of supplies along, and the villages I'm talking about will have things like thermal spas and saunas, and really nice, comfortable rooms. I'm thinking about 6 or 6.5 hours per 50k leg, and about 4 hours for the 30k runs, sometimes faster, sometime slower depending on elevation gain/loss. I can break it off at any time, but I'll be alone (no doggie this time), no crew or anything like that. I'll be in the woods almost exclusively, but never far from civilisation (you can't get that far from civilisation here).

And that's my goal for 2012. Exactly when I'll manage it, I don't know, but I'm feeling pretty fit atm, so we'll see. I've got time next week (DW and DC are flying to NY for two weeks, without me).

Any of you ever done or attempted anything like this before? I'd LOVE to read some advice/war stories!

HooRah! :D

I couldn't attempt to run this far yet (but I'd readily accept the challenge to pronounce 'Fränkischer Gebirgsweg')...
But aren't there busses who run between your stops?
I think I would be searching for a bus that could bring me from stop 2 back to stop 1, from stop 3 to 2, and so on...
That way, I could rent a room in village 1, drive to village 2 and leave my car there. Take the bus to village 1, and run to village 2 the next day.
Next day, I would drive to village 3 and take bus back and so on...

(I know that in the Eifel, it's even possible to have your luggage brought from hotel 1 to hotel 2 and so on... In that case, you could drive to your last stop, leave your car there, and take a bus to the first village.... Of course, that wouldn't be on a shoestring anymore... Which brings me to the question: can one travel barefoot on a shoestring?)

I couldn't attempt to run this far yet (but I'd readily accept the challenge to pronounce 'Fränkischer Gebirgsweg')...
But aren't there busses who run between your stops?

lol, took me years to figure out how to pronounce the local mountain range: Fichtelgebirge :)

You're Yurropean anyway so it doesn't count ;)

No, busses wouldn't be realistic at all. There would probably be a bus running now and then, but not necessarily when I need one, nor to the towns I want to go to. It would be waaaaaaay too complicated, and involve things like" planning" and "good timing", two of my biggest weaknesses ...

I couldn't attempt to run this far yet

Me, either, Anne! lol, I was thinking about it when I woke up this morning and realised how absurd my numbers were - I changed it and think this could really be doable. Also, I'm thinking that I could in fact reserve rooms beforehand and have supplies waiting at each hotel, just running from one stop to the next, something like that - in which case I'd make it something like 7okm a day x 4 days = 280km (4 Rennsteig Ultramarathons in a row more or less...)

Ok, here's what I'm mulling over, hope I can 'splain in coherently (I just edited to make the distances and times more realistic, lol - who was I kidding???)
I want to run along part of the "Fränkischer Gebirgsweg" ...

That sounds like a good time! I tried something similar to that this summer but the 105+ Texas heat made it basically impossible. I would love to do something like that one day and that is why the Vol State run is so appealing to me. Good luck and keep us updated.

Reactions: BFwillie_g
That sounds like a good time! I tried something similar to that this summer but the 105+ Texas heat made it basically impossible..

That'd discourage me, too, Bubba! We're supposed to be getting a heat wave over the next few days here (ok, high 80s low 90s, but still ...) and I'm thinking of using my free time to praxctice some open-water swimming, something that I'ver tried and failed at a few times before ...

I have done 300k in one week, but I was also running twice a day. I don't understand why you are driving a car. Why don't you just run to the next hotel?

I have done 300k in one week, but I was also running twice a day. I don't understand why you are driving a car. Why don't you just run to the next hotel?

Spoon - yeah, I know it sounds complicated, but with the car, I can bring more gear - change of undwear, so to speak - and I don't want to run with a heavy backpack. The other alternative would be to bring supplies to hotels beforehand, which i havta say is looking like a realistic and attractive alternative :)

Zap - yeah, I'll have my hydration pack along for the fun :)

I would drop off a box of stuff (food, drink, clothes) at each hotel a day or two before you set out on the run and then come back a week later and pick up all the boxes at each hotel again. Or you could have the hotel mail each box back to your home for you if it is only your running clothes.

Hey Willie,

I reckon id go with dropping off the supplies to the hotels (or if its just a change of socks, shorts and shirt, plus something to wear to dinner then id post it) in the days before the run. Drive to the end point and use public transport to get to the start place, stay there the night then set out the next day.in the morning when you leave the hotel you can also post the box back home. The money you save on petrol would surely cover the postage.... plus may allow a more liberal hydration strategy ;)

I think you'd waste huge amounts of daylight going back and forth with the car, Not to mention how hard it would be to get going again after an hour or two fluffing around with the car.

Sounds like a great adventure.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts