Winter Challenge - 2012

'Below 5°C', does that mean: '5° and less', or '4.99° and less' ;)?

About 2,5 months after starting my transitioning to barefoot running, I had a (short) run today at 5°C, and I really feel a barefoot runner now, so I hope this qualifies...

This includes 5°C and 41°F .... you definitely qualify!

The good news: less than 12 hours after complaining abou the weather being too "warm," I finally got to take my first offical winter run this morning! Woohoo!

The bad news: I seem to have forgotten everything I ever knew about winter barefooting (and it wasn't that much to begin with!). Why, otherwise, would I have decided to just do my normal run for the day: 3k warm up, 10x800m intervalls (400m recovery), 3k cool down? That's 18k+ total distance! Until today my longest barefoot winter run to date had been 10k! And why did I not bring emergency shoes?! I bring shoes on normal runs over 20k, and 18 is pretty flippin close to 20! Seriously, seriously dumb.

The first 4k were ok, but my biggest problem came when I started recovery jogging. My feet kept getting progressively colder with each interval. I decided after the 5th 800 that I was giving up and just running home as fast as I could. Unfortunately I was already over 8.5k out and there was almost no way to shorten the route except to run over some reeeeeeeally cold and gravely dirt. Umm, no thanks. So I just sucked it up, took a quick glance at the feet every few minutes to make sure they weren't turning funny colors, and booked it on home.

Aside from some majorly painful tingling as they were warming up, the feet seem to be in pretty good shape again now. I got lucky, I guess, but I don't plan on repeating the fiasco. Always, always, always taking shoes with me from now on!

Reactions: NickW
Yes Chelsea,

Safety first, what was the temps like? 18km on the first jaunt is definitely pushing the limits, are you sure you are not Canadian.

I ran for 40 minutes this morning pouring rain at 49 degrees, barefoot. Still to hot to enter into the log.
might be too warm for the log, but with rain....that is cold no matter how you cut it...

Reactions: Barefooting Bob
Yes Chelsea,

Safety first, what was the temps like? 18km on the first jaunt is definitely pushing the limits, are you sure you are not Canadian.

4*C and still mostly dark when I started, 5*C when I finshed. I'm definitely not Canadian (Pacific Northwest, woot!) but I have an awesome aunt who is. Not blood related, but maybe I should start claiming it anyway. :p

I usually wear jersey gloves and I have had to take them off of my hands and put them on my feet before. Looked like a really funny pair of VFF's.

Haha! :) I contemplated doing that, but unfortunately the gloves weren't the nifty jersey type and there would have been a lot of annoying flopping going on. At some point I started visualizing taking off my base layer shirt and ripping it up to make foot coverings but decided I didn't want to stop and sit long enough to figure out how to do it. At least the thought process was a nice distraction. :p

@Chelsea -- at 4-5°C you probably would not have got frostbite. Numb and tingly definitely! But really 18k for your 1st run in the cold is off the chart scary. Glad you did it without injury.

@rickwhitelaw --- I've used mitts before too, but on another body part when I did not dress warm enough on the lower half. Ain't getting frostbite there that's for d#rn sure.

@Lee - use any wind chill calculation you can find. Environment Canada weather stations typically show wind chill values.

Cleared 50 km so far, not bad for the beginning of October. To bad I know the temps are going to drop off the face of the earth in January, they don't call this city Winterpeg for nothing. Must maximize my miles while I can.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Dutchie --- you are missing your total km run in the +5 to 0 range
Wow, that's just odd. I noticed that last night and thought I had corrected that, than when I checked it this morning I noticed it was gone again. Corrected it again so will check later to see if the gremlins stayed away. I think it might have something to do do with the comp I was using yesterday.

@rickwhitelaw --- I've used mitts before too, but on another body part when I did not dress warm enough on the lower half. Ain't getting frostbite there that's for d#rn sure.

This is why you are a cold expert YOW. Same thing happened to me and I didn't even think to stuff my shorts. I had to call for a ride and walk backwards into the cold N. wind until my son showed up. He had a good laugh about it.

Just got a good 3.5mi in....
44 degrees but 20-30mph crosswinds pushed the windchill temps down to 35ish
the cold was not nearly as hard to deal with as the intensity of the wind!

7 miles at lunch. -3 degrees with the wind chill (winds gusting to 50km/hr plus). Looking forward to my -6 temp run later tonight.

Reactions: dutchie53
Naturally, my first race of the fall is this Saturday and the Weather Geniuses are calling for below 30F at gun time. I guess Jack Frost gets to run for free.

It's just a 10K trail run, so there'll hardly be time to get warmed up. I don't even know if I'll break out the ankle warmers or not.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7