Why do I always get a new kind of injury instead of the same one over again?

jschwab

Barefooters
Jun 16, 2010
I haven't decided if this is a philosophical, rhetorical or practical question, which is why I did not file it in the injury forum. The latest was a misdignosed psoas injury (you know, the good ol' "so' ass". I've had something different every time - never anything really, really serious except for my sports hernia - but why something always different? My form doesn't change that much, nor my mileage, nor anything about how I run. It's like I have to "experience" everything once.

Another one?  Geez, J.  You

Another one? Geez, J. You have the worst luck. I'm so sorry. I don't know what would be worse, dealing with the same old problem over and over again that never heals, or dealing with new problems that come then go. Good luck, J.

You know I've sort of

You know I've sort of wondered the same thing. I've not had the terrible injuries that you've had, but I've had lots of minor ones. Shin splints for the longest time (when I was in shoes), followed by some terrible PTT like thing in one ankle, then the other, then a stress fracture/reaction thingy in one foot, then tendonidis in the other. I've had weeks where I had problems with my knees enough to have to wear braces (also while I was in shoes). But everytime I get a injury or maybe the better word is, severe weakness that causes me not to run so it doesn't become a full blown injury, once it heals it never comes back.

I've often wondered if some of these "injuries" are more like some massive remodeling of your muscles, tendons ect... that are nearly inevitable. I think this especially since one side of me will have something wrong with it (say my knee or foot ect....) and I'll take it easy to let it heal, and the second it heals the other exact same thing will end up hurt on the other other side. Now tell me, why when I was resting to let the one side heal, would the other not have completely healed any encroaching niggles and prevented me from injuries?

It doesn't make any sense and frustrated me for quite some time. Even the minor ones stopped me from running for long enough to anger me and it doubly angered me when the time was doubled for the other side being hurt. In any case its rather odd to say the least.

It's weird, right? It's like

It's weird, right? It's like I am my own PT textbook - just gotta try them all out! I only had that one really bad injury (the sports hernia) - otherwise I never tore anything or had a fracture, just a lot of the niggles like you that are not serious but need attending and maybe a little layoff, but never the same thing so I know what to do! This one was bad bcause the chiro misdiagnosed it. When I finally figured it out, I was one adjustment and it was gone, but in the meantime I had a period where I could barely walk just due to a strained PSOAS.

Injuries and sickness is not

Injuries and sickness is not only physical but it's mental as well. The mind is amazing. If someone has suffered alot of injuries it is mentally easy to get stuck in a rut. Injuries are mental as well. Have you thought about yoga, and maybe mediation where it involves deep breathing? I would forget any thoughts about doctors and try to push through this nagging injuries.

Someone told me about this book, and I can't remember the title. But it's basically about how we can overcome sickness and injuries through mental practice. I hope you start to feel better!

Barefoot Gentile

Barefoot Gentile said:
Injuries and sickness is not only physical but it's mental as well. The mind is amazing. If someone has suffered alot of injuries it is mentally easy to get stuck in a rut. Injuries are mental as well. Have you thought about yoga, and maybe mediation where it involves deep breathing? I would forget any thoughts about doctors and try to push through this nagging injuries.

Someone told me about this book, and I can't remember the title. But it's basically about how we can overcome sickness and injuries through mental practice. I hope you start to feel better!

Yes! i think so much of it is being mindful and in the present moment and not becoming too distracted from ourselves to notice our physicality. With this particular injury, I was trying to deal with it at a time of low energy for all things physical (was doing lots of mental work designing a remodel and for work). Once I devoted some energy, the fix was very simple - overnight. I value the bodywork I receive from my chiro, but I do feel like it is my responsibility to actively figure out my own problems. I just wonder why they are always different? This one mimicked a more serious injury I had, too, and I think that was a mental block to positive action. I think I am with the previous poster, though, in seeing some of these as not really injuries, or insults to the body, but rather realignments towards a different form. Maybe the fact that we get so many varied ones has to do with the fact that our whole bodies are realigning? I had a race in May - ten miles - where my calf seized up at mile 3. I kept looking for medical transport as it was extremely painful, but saw none and I had to meet my family so there was no option of stopping - I would ahve had to walk the whole way on a very painful calf anyway. I pushed on through 7 miles of excrutiating pain convinced I'd torn something and needed to collapse at the end. I finished (a PR actually by 20 seconds/ mile) and began to walk. The pain vanished. All I had needed to do was simply stop running - it was a simple charley horse. I think the stress of holding that "injury" to myself affected me after with the PSOAS.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon