What should I get for my FIRST minimalist footwear?

C. Beth Run.

Barefooters
Jul 6, 2010
I've been running for eight months. Currently I'm training to do a half marathon in fall or winter.

I just decided to try barefoot running. I'm taking it slowly and have gotten out there twice this week to run for short periods of time on my bare feet. I'm loving it so far--I can't wait until my muscles and soles are ready for longer barefoot runs!

I'm learning with totally bare feet, but I do want to get some sort of minimalist footwear to use for some of my runs, once I get more used to going barefoot.

Right now I'm primarily considering either buying a pair of VFFs or making my own huaraches with Vibram soles. I'm leaning towards making the huaraches, then getting VFFs when the weather gets a little cooler.

But I'm certainly open to trying something else! I'd like to keep the cost at the cost of VFFs or lower.

So, what should I start with? Sell me on your favorite!

$6 water shoes from the

$6 water shoes from the Dollar Store! Poor man's Vibrams! They are good because they are cheap, but also not as "molded" as the Vibrams which irritated me (expensive mistake - I gave mine away). You can see the kind of thing I am talking about in my Avatar.

A lot of people on this forum

A lot of people on this forum like huaraches. I personal loath them. What I don't like is that the sole material moves around on your foot while you're running, which makes them a little unwieldy to run in. I also find that the laces never seem to stay as tight as I tie them at the beginning of the run, so they become more loose and irritating as the run goes on. This might be a product of the construction of my huaraches, but I've heard similar things from others as well.

A lot of people try to come at minimalist running on the cheap because they don't know if they will like it, or are naturally prone to spend money on things that way. The problem with that is exactly what jschwab experienced with his pool shoes. They work, but they don't necessarily work all that well. And they're cheap...and they're going to wear out fast because they're cheap. You're really not going to find a better minimalist shoe for the money than a VFF. It is well constructed, it feels great, and it lasts a long time.

I would say if you like barefoot running, there is no reason why you won't like running in VFFs. They are similar in most respects. So if you remain interested in barefoot running, and want a minimalist shoe, buy some VFFs.

I think you misunderstood

I think you misunderstood my post. My cheapo water shoes are the best minimalist shoes I've owned and I've run in VFF's and in Teva Protons and Kigo's and (in the store) in EVO's so I've had some experience with alot of different options. It was the expensive Vibrams I had the most problems with and I had to give them away - the toe separations really require that your foot fit well and my toes were too short and I didn't like the molded arch (causes me to tend to overpronate a bit). They work for alot of people but there is no reason not to try something cheaper.

why buy shoes at all?  :-D

why buy shoes at all? :-D

+1 to Nate. You've got some

+1 to Nate. You've got some time before your race to transition totally barefoot (depending on where you live, maybe it gets cold soon into fall where you live?). I say give it a go with going about it all barefoot, I felt I my transition was smoother once I ditched the minimal shoes and just did barefoot. I'm almost afraid to buy shoes again, though ahve to for winter running. GL and enjoy!

I say stick with barefoot

I say stick with barefoot too. Or if your feet are a little raw you can add socks for a layer of protection. Leave the shoes for when it gets too cold to BFR.

I have VFFs, and I like them for wearing around, but when I run in them I get blisters, which then makes it hard to go back to barefoot. So I avoid running in them when I can. (Mine are just big enough that I can wear Injinji socks with them, so that'll be my main cold-weather solution. I haven't found any affordable reduced running shoes that are flat enough and wide enough for my toes)

Cheap water shoes first over

Cheap water shoes first over the VFF's...the $10 they cost is nothing just to try them out. I like them just as well as VFF's...I only wear footwear when trail running mostly in the cold and the VFF's don't keep my feet warm but the water shoes do.

Stick with the barefooting till it gets cold out...you will be better off in the long run.

I have to be able to run on

I have to be able to run on hot pavement at mid-day because of my schedule so barefoot isn't always OK, but I agree going bare more often at this point will strengthen and align your feet much faster.

I must have misunderstood.  I

I must have misunderstood. I thought you didn't like the fit jschwab. If you can find cheap shoes that last, then I say good work. I always come from the opinion that if you need good stuff, spend the money and get something with good quality.

saypay45 wrote:I must have

saypay45 said:
I must have misunderstood. I thought you didn't like the fit jschwab. If you can find cheap shoes that last, then I say good work. I always come from the opinion that if you need good stuff, spend the money and get something with good quality.

I wish there was something decent that was an flat as a water shoe (everything has that dumb molded arch and the Kigo's have raised heels). I hate the waste, for one, and don't like "throwaway" purchases, but I am thinking of my feet. I am not totally sure they won't last a good while, anyway. The tread is insignificant since I am not on trail, but rather on pavement.

I'd say stick with barefoot

I'd say stick with barefoot whenever you can stand it, because it will teach you how to run much more effectively than any shoes I've tried. (Haven't tried the VFF's.) And after a while you'll be surprised at what surfaces you can do.

But at some point on some day you might want shoes. I second/third/fourth the cheapo water shoes idea, but just note that there is a big variety in these. Some of them are great, some have seams in all the wrong places. The "Oxide" ones from Sports Authority were good for me, with a very soft sole and no structure at all, but they are really hot.

I also bought some "Ahnu Delta" water shoes at REI. (I got 1.5 sizes bigger than my normal so my toes could move around.) They're higher quality and I've used them on very rough terrain, but the sole has some stiff parts. They're quite minimal for running shoes, but pretty meaty for water shoes.

Let us know how it works out..

Thank you all for the

Thank you all for the recommendations! TheRunningBarefoot.com convinced me to start totally barefoot while I'm learning. But I keep reading about minimalist footwear and feeling like I'm going to want it as a "backup." It does seem wise, though, to just hold off until I really know what I'm doing and what I need. Not having a "backup" will take away the temptation of using it before my form has really gotten good and my feet have really gotten tough.

When I am ready to get some minimalist footwear (whether it's for running or just for wearing out and about), I think it's going to be important to get something I can try on. People obviously have such vastly different experiences with VFFs, water shoes, huaraches, etc. So I think when I am ready, I'll try some VFFs at REI and check out some water shoes too, and see what feels right for my feet.

Good plan Beth!  As you can

Good plan Beth! As you can tell, there is a lot of personal preference in these kinds of shoes because most of us have gotten spoiled by how great barefoot running feels!

I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting a pair of minimalist shoes, even before you have completely correct form. It's nice to have shoes for when the elements are extreme, or the soles of your feet are a little banged up, etc. You should use footwear in whatever way it feels comfortable.

Remember that a lot of the opinions you are hearing are from people who have barefooted for a while. Your opinion on the subject will change over time as well until you find the combination of barefoot and shod that works for you. I used to run exclusively in VFFs. Now I run barefoot and use VFFs when racing and during long runs. That combination evolved as my goals changed.

So if you feel like you need a backup, go for it!

You might want to think about

You might want to think about your regular shoes right now, too, not just shoes for running. IMO, one of the worst impediments to developing good form is not what you wear while you are running, but what you wear the rest of the day. If you get as minimalist shoes as you can for everyday, that will help out alot.

I really like the Invisible

I really like the Invisible Shoes Huaraches for most most of my runs. I haven't had many problems with them moving on my feet while running. I have also run in Sockwa Amphibians and really liked them. (Minus a seam issue alleviated with a band aid).

I just got some KSOs yesterday, but I don't think I will be running in them. They just don't fit well enough for that to me. My feet are oddly sized (1 is a full size bigger and I have Morton's Toe) so the Huaraches were great for me. I think the KSO's are going to be great for working out at the gym though. Good ground feel for the squats and I stuff I bet.

I tried some Aqua Socks from Walmart, but they felt sooo hot on my feet, so I ditched those for anything not actually involving water.

Barefoot is good too, but I am trying to run in the morning now, and the sprinklers are on around my neighborhood, and I perfer to not get blisters from teh Moisture.

To summarize, try the huaraches.

I originally had this

I originally had this question thinking about PA winters....BUT after hearing from some of our AK brothers and sisters, I'm not sure I'll put anything on my feet during the winter either....but, it's all speculation for now....I reserve the right to change my mind by January :). I might just run in my woolies on really cold mornings :-D. Why wear shoes?

Ok...seriously though, no judgements on those of you who wear silly sandels with leather thongs....I just personally never want to put shoes on again, except for the rare occasion I done my flops for a formal event.

jschwab wrote:You might want

jschwab said:
You might want to think about your regular shoes right now, too, not just shoes for running. IMO, one of the worst impediments to developing good form is not what you wear while you are running, but what you wear the rest of the day. If you get as minimalist shoes as you can for everyday, that will help out alot.

Yeah, I've been thinking about that. Thankfully I'm a stay-at-home mom and don't have a lot of commitments this summer, so I'm home, barefoot, a LOT. In fact, I was barefoot a lot of the time at home before deciding to try BF running, so I've been able to do short runs on asphalt already. (My soles have a lot of toughening to do, but not as much as they would if I didn't already spend a lot of time BF.)

Anyway, I am thinking about what I want for when I'm not at home.... I need to check out VFFs & others for that. The Jingas someone posted on this forum look very interesting to me for everyday wear....

Thanks again to everyone for the input! I can overthink things and have to remind myself, I'll figure it out in time!

I know that New Balance for

I know that New Balance for one is coming out with a new minimal shoe. Hopefully it will be here by fall. I think as the movement catches on more companies will be coming out with these shoes. I would concentrate on barefoot right now and see what products are available this fall.

Run/ walk barefoot as much as

Run/ walk barefoot as much as possible. In my experience huaraches are best for those times that your feet simply need a break (and they are ultra cheap to make, which is a huge bonus). They also inspire some fun conversations, most people think that they are really cool when they find out you've made them yourself. Also, I have decided to go 100% barefoot as much as physically possible. This is impossible to do at places such as walmart and restaurants because they require shoes. Therefore huaraches are nice because they are as minimalist as it gets and have easy storage because you can roll them up. So, 1)they are the most minimal shoes out there 2) they are a proven shoes as they have been around for thousands of years.

VFF's are really good as well, but if your toes arent just right they can start to hurt or feel uncomfortable after long periods of time wearing them. this can be a very expensive mistake because you cant really wear them all day at the store. Also, during cold weather, because your toes are separated they can get unnaturally cold. They do have cold weather ones though so it all depends on much much you are willing to fork out. On the bright side, they are pretty awesome and you really do feel barefoot while wearing them. They are also very durable and have multiple functions, so you will get your moneys worth if you decide to go this route.

Side by side, both serve as a very functional and sensible minimalist shoe. Huaraches do tend to loosen over the day, and your feet are more exposed. Going over gravel can also be a problem because it tends to get between your foot and the sandle. VFF's tend to smell really bad after awhile and take a long time to dry if they get completely wet.

In conclusion, i have both, and have used both extensively (Took my VFF runners on a 150+ mile canoe ride/ camping/ trecking trip in a glacier fed river in Alaska) In the end i prefer huaraches most of the time. They are quick, cheap, and multifaceted. But sometimes they just dont cut it, so in the end its all personal choice. I hope this helps, ive tried to weigh both relatively evenly while focusing on the negative aspects, most people will tell you whats right, but not whats wrong. Although, nothing will ever beat out going the cheapest and most durable route of all, barefoot.