what is barefoot running

el jefe

Barefooters
Jan 16, 2011
did yall notice the book called the idiots guide to barefoot running......the picture on the front is of a guy, with an almost straight front leg, with his heel reaching for the ground......barefoot running is a style, as far as i know, not necessarily the relationship to whether there is anything attached to the foot or not.....there are two types of running shoes that barefoot style runners, or as i called it natural style for many many years.....that is the platform style and the support style......i prefer the platform, as taras use, .........no pressure on the sides of the covering....the bottom must be wider than the foot, and it only acts as a platform for the foot to do it's thing.....in the other type, or the so called support type, the whole shoe flexes with the foot....the shoe should , ideally to my mind, do absolutely nothing, except cover the bottom of the foot from rocks, stickers, etc.....thas all...nothing more.....i have about five or six thousand miles on three pairs of propet voyager sandals that i use as a covering.....i have been doing this almost daily since nineteen fifty eight....i saw the horrid shoes with heels come in during the seventies, and i knew from the gitgo that it was wrong, but i was called old fashioned and not up with the new sciences of jogging.....ahem....the worm has finally begun to turn...i am sixty one years old, and still run, all natural style, a minimum of seventy miles per week...no injuries, no knee probs, no nuthin...knock on plastic..its a style, yall.........cheerx, el jefe in austin

When referring to the style

When referring to the style of barefoot running, we should call it barefoot style running. Barefoot running is just that, running with bare feet. You can be barefoot and still not run with the barefoot running style (that is, the style we all expect to see when someone runs without shoes). There are some people who still run as though they were running in big bulky shoes, when they have nothing on their feet, some but not most.

Welcome, el jefe! Glad to have you here. It certainly is good to see the tides turning...back.

Barefoot TJ wrote:When

Barefoot TJ said:
When referring to the style of barefoot running, we should call it barefoot style running. Barefoot running is just that, running with bare feet. You can be barefoot and still not run with the barefoot running style (that is, the style we all expect to see when someone runs without shoes). There are some people who still run as though they were running in big bulky shoes, when they have nothing on their feet, some but not most.

Welcome, el jefe! Glad to have you here. It certainly is good to see the tides turning...back.

Indeed. Welcome.

Not too mention, we never see them running for very long. Then they take their now fractured heels and blame the fact that they were running sans foot coffins, rather than blaming their lack of proper form. Barefooting takes time and the form must be learned. Taking your shoes off is the first step, but it's one tiny step. I wish people would figure that out. :(

Wow!  I've only just barely

Wow! I've only just barely been walking since 1958. I'm so glad to see you here! You have a nearly unique perspective on running that I hope you'll share more of with us from time to time.