we're famous

migangelo

Chapter Presidents
Jun 5, 2010
portland, or
here is an article written by the local paper here, The Oregonian. They mention the BRS with a link and even ibrd. it's worth a read.

Mike

http://www.oregonlive.com/health/index.ssf/2011/04/barefoot_running_if_youre_thin.html

I have to disagree with their

I have to disagree with their podiatrist on the weight issue. My feet and ankles feel way better barefoot than in shoes, and I am still counted as "obese" by BMI standards. I can actually tell I land harder in shoes (even my Merrells) so I know this is easier on my joints and bones despite being a big fat guy.

I like the only comment at

I like the only comment at the end of the article the most. Remember don't feed the trolls!!

"These barefoot/minimalist shoe runners are crazy! Are they not concerned with broken glass, broken plastic, nails, rocks/pebbles, splintered wood, and other hazardous items scattered on the ground that can cause serious injury. Let's hope their doctors have a LOT of tetanus stored in their office. Also, don't forget about dog poop, duck poop, urine, oil, dirty water and sticky soda pop spilled on the ground. If they are running on grass there's a HUGE chance they won't see what lies buried ahead. I'm staying with my Skechers as they have nice, thick bottoms."

Unfortunatly there is still a lot to overcome about being a barefoot runner out there in the general running community.

Well, I am concerned as well.

Well, I am concerned as well. So I guess I'll have to quit doing my trail runs in a trash dump/landfill, because that's the only place I can think of where I can get all these handy items. ;-)

kentox wrote:I like the only

kentox said:
I like the only comment at the end of the article the most. Remember don't feed the trolls!! .. "Also, don't forget about dog poop, duck poop, urine, oil, dirty water and sticky soda pop..."

Sticky soda pop? what a horror. Which reminds me, I think I will bring shoes next time I go to a movie theater.

"These barefoot/minimalist

"These barefoot/minimalist shoe runners are crazy! Are they not concerned with broken glass, broken plastic, nails, rocks/pebbles, splintered wood, and other hazardous items scattered on the ground that can cause serious injury. Let's hope their doctors have a LOT of tetanus stored in their office. Also, don't forget about dog poop, duck poop, urine, oil, dirty water and sticky soda pop spilled on the ground. If they are running on grass there's a HUGE chance they won't see what lies buried ahead. I'm staying with my Skechers as they have nice, thick bottoms."

I laughed at that entire comment and the ridiculousness of it all. I bet you $10 that person wears Shape-Ups. ;)

I'll be sure to find some

I'll be sure to find some really gnarly cactus to not just run through, but mayberoll in too. I'll also see if there isn't some roadkill around, maybe get some gangrene going, aarrrrrrgh. I feel tough.

That comment was so over the

That comment was so over the top, I suspect it was a spoof. You have to kind of be a part of this community to get all those horrors in one paragraph. Then tossing on the bit about the Sketchers at the end, come on that's just too good. Alright who's going to fess up to it?

Actually, the most remarkable

Actually, the most remarkable detail in the story was the thing about Willow Ryan, being removed from her "pace leader" position because she was apparently setting a bad example???

I believe Willow is a BRS member. Can you tell us more about this? What was the argument exactly? Did it happen recently?

Thank you, Migangelo, for the

Thank you, Migangelo, for the link.

There seems to be no limit to the number of professionals journalists can find who are happy to speak authoritatively about topics they know next to nothing about (or who can spout nonsense that is betrayed by the facts). Such know-nothings seem to be especially common when the topic is barefoot running.

Barefoot runners are sometimes criticized, rightly or wrongly, as "purists". But I have yet to see any group of barefooters behave anywhere near as intolerantly and unfairly as the Portland running group that forced Ryan to step down as a pace leader merely because she didn't wear shoes. Good for her for splitting off. Who would want to hang out with people like that? Why should it matter what the people you run with have or don't have on their feet?

Yes, DB, I echo your

Yes, DB, I echo your dismay. Willow, if you're out there, please let us know more.

One trend I have been noticing about the so-called "furor" over barefoot running is the difference between online and face-to-face discourse. Online people say all sorts of extremist things. But in person I have never gotten any bile from another runner. Other reactions-- confusion, skepticism, cheers, and so forth, yes, but never bile. Occasionally I have been aggressively treated by someone in a car or on a bike, but never another runner in person. The anecdote about Willow is actually the first time I've heard of a running group taking any sort of official position.

That's why I was wondering if this happened some time ago? Or exactly what the running group thought was negative about having a BF pacer.

Speaking of this link, the

Speaking of this link, the Hawaii Chapter is having our Bi-Monthly Dog Poop & Bum Urine 5k coming up here soon. Also, for each piece of glass you pick out of your feet at the end we'll deduct three seconds from your final time. Hypodermics are worth ten seconds.

Doug, sign me up!

Doug, sign me up!

I love the dig that anyone

I love the dig that anyone who is 10-20 pounds overweight should crosstrain first before running at all, shoes or no. Judging by the local racing scene, that would eliminate about 85% of runners from running.

This stuff is just so ridiculous - who cares what the pace leader is wearing? That is total nonsense! At the very least, you would think they might recognize "if it's good enough for Zola, ...". I mean, it's not THAT crazy.

"Barefoot runners are

"Barefoot runners are sometimes criticized, rightly or wrongly, as "purists"."

It's not us with the problem, it's them. They need to be asking themselves what the root cause of their intolerance and arrogance is, and why they wish to control others at the expense of said others.

(/Edited since I misread the one line.)

Given that Willow is Portland

Given that Willow is Portland based surely there is a fair likelihood that many of the other members of her, erstwhile, running club work for Nike or Adidas and so might just have felt threatened by her barefoot abilities.
teeth_smile.gif

Out of sight, out of mind!

KentoxOk I was not going for

Kentox

Ok I was not going for a barefoot run today but now I am.

I am going to find some mud, snow, grass, gravel ... and have some fun.

I got a Google Alert on this

I got a Google Alert on this earlier. Loved it, most of it anway. Good going, you guys! I will send an email to Willow or try to contact her in some way to get her input on this. Stay tuned.

Okay, I contacted Willow via Facebook. Hopefully, we'll learn more soon.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7