Well I Have To Tell SOMEBODY! :-)

Haselsmasher

Barefooters
Apr 3, 2010
willie_g in "the other BF forum" posted this video on rolling the calf. The "Aha!" for me upon watching the video was rolling further down toward the ankle/Achilles. I typically don't go as low on the calf as this video shows. I've used the roller enough to figure it wouldn't make that much of a difference - I've been rolling a long time. Holy cow - was I wrong. I've really had to work out some knots and pain points. Things are improving - but more progress is needed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYq7AmBN5TE

BUT - a resulting breakthrough appears to be the fact that, today, on my run where I increased my time by a good chunk - the normal post-run heel pain I've been getting is greatly reduced. My podiatrist told me a while ago he thought I'd irritated a nerve that goes to the heel. He was thinking there was something above the ankle that was irritating it. I'm thinking/hoping that the lower-on-the-leg rolling has loosened stuff up there and enabled the nerve to move more freely. All I know for sure is 1) I ran longer today than I have in months and 2) the pain is reduced.

And don't forget - a very effective roller is a 4" piece of PVC pipe from Lowe's or Home Depot. Some people put foam on them to make them a little more palatable.

Jim

I am excited for you, Jim!  I

I am excited for you, Jim! I remember how you were having problems. Hope is a good thing. Now let's hope you can put that all behind you and get on with the business of running.

Can someone tell Willie that

Can someone tell Willie that I said he needs to get his ass over here!!!

Im glad the rolling helped you out! Im still having some lower calf tightness, maybe I should look into it!

Barefoot TJ wrote: Now let's

Barefoot TJ said:
Now let's hope you can put that all behind you and get on with the business of running.

+1 to that! While slow, this was the first time in I-can't-remember-how-long where I could sort of relax and cruise for a while - getting into the rhythym of the feet, my breathing, etc.

Jim

Huh, I've been trying out the

Huh, I've been trying out the rolling thing for the last few days, and so far it hasn't done much, although it's vaguely pleasant. How long did it take for you to feel it?

Also, I wasn't rolling while I had any calf pain, but they were a little tight feeling. Maybe I don't need it? Sounded like from the video everyone on earth does, though.

Am I supposed to do the rolling right before I go run, like to the minute? Because the time I did it before running was at home about an hour before I got to my destination.

How have you been scheduling your rolling rolling rolling?

Anyhow, sure glad you have found a cheap and easy solution to help you feel better.

Chaserwilliams wrote:Can

Chaserwilliams said:
Can someone tell Willie that I said he needs to get his ass over here!!!

Done.

scedastic said:
Huh, I've been trying out the rolling thing for the last few days, and so far it hasn't done much, although it's vaguely pleasant. how long did it take for you to feel it?

Also, I wasn't rolling while I had any calf pain, but they were a little tight feeling. Maybe I don't need it? Sounded like from the video everyone on earth does, though.

Am I supposed to do the rolling right before I go run, like to the minute? Because the time I did it before running was at home about an hour before I got to my destination.

How have you been scheduling your rolling rolling rolling?

For me I knew it was helping as pain went away. I'd find spots that would bring out pain and as I worked them over time it would feel better - or rather not hurt as badly. It would generally loosen up. I've been rolling my calves for a long time but, as I mentioned above, it wasn't until I saw the video where I realized it would be helpful to go down lower towards the heel. I found this quite painful - but it has been improving.

My understanding it's best to do roll at least 2 - but more if possible - times per day. I typically do morning and night. It's great to do while watching TV. My sense is whether it is done right before or right after exercise doesn't make much of a difference. You're trying for changes over days and weeks in the suppleness of the muscle.

I don't recall from the video - but you can put one leg on top of the other to get more pressure on it. And as you point out - maybe you don't need it? Are you having issues which lead you to believe something needs resolving?

Jim

Thanks, that helps. No, I'm

Thanks, that helps.

No, I'm not having any pain per se, but my calves do get tight sometimes either during or after a run. However, if I give it a rest, it's fine.

I was more thinking this might be worth trying as something to just improve my running rather than something to deal with pain.

On the other hand, it sort of bummed me out when I was just getting happy that my stretching time was all gone (saw the title of the article about don't stretch and apparently that was enough for me, though I only stretched after exercise before), then along comes a replacement activity, which didn't seem very minimal, but I feel obliged to try, for whatever reason.

Glad to hear its helping you

Glad to hear its helping you too. I started rolling like the video before my runs and it makes quite a difference for me. A lot less soreness and tightness (especially in the achilles and posterior tibial tendon). I had been rolling after running and although it helps, it didn't seem to be making a huge difference. One thing that I learned from the video that makes a difference for me is to point my toes. It really loosens things up more.

I was wondering that too,

I was wondering that too, whether or not the rolling was intended to be routine or only when needed. Since running BF most all my leg pains are now gone. About the only regular pain is the slight burning of my skin on my forefoot after longer runs, but I am sure thats just due to my sensative skin, and very rough pavement I have to learn on. Against everything I have ever beleived I have also stopped stretching, per Dr. G's suggestions. I have tried to rub my calves like when in the shower, trying to press my fingers in hard, I dont usually have any pain whatsoever. After longer runs they might be a little tight, but as I am slowly increasing my milleage bf I assume just a little tightness should be normal when I do a little more. Should I try it just to see?

Is that 4" pipe the diamter or length? If diameter that sounds pretty big but I think I have some around. Sorry cant watch youtube here where I do most of my forum-ing, but i'll try to get on it at home some time to see it.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts