Vibram VFF / Soft Star

turbocarr

Barefooters
Nov 10, 2011
I purchased my first VFF KSO's around two months ago just for gym use. They felt so good on my feet, I stared doing fast (power) walking with progressed into some trails and a little running. I quickly discovered that they were a bit thin for the trails in my area so I picked up the Komodo's. They felt better around my feet (due to the sock liner) with a bit more protection on the trail from sharp rocks, but lost a little ground feel. The Komodo's were a little slippery on steeper climbs and decents so I eventually got some Treks in brown then lost my heat and then a black pair for everyday (possible work) use. All of my VFF's just feel great on my feet. For me, although the KSO's have the best ground feel, the best "feeling" VFF's on my feet are the Komodo's. It's the "do all" VFF's for my lifestyle. Just can't wear them to work due the loud graphics. Although I've worn the Trek Black to work, it was not without stares and wild comments. On that same note, the only complained I have (like many others) is "the look". There are times when I just don't feel like hearing it. The problem, I can't get myself to wear regular shoes anymore. Big problem! So I've been searching for an alternative. Been researching several "non-toe" style minimalist shoes; including Soft Star, Vivobarefoot, Kigo Drive, New Balance, Adidas, etc. Several blogs have mentioned people wearing the Soft Star Moc3 and Dash's to work so I picked up pair of Moc3's with the Dash's on order. The sizing of the Moc3's are quite different and I'm having a hard time deciding on what size to keep. I'm in between 12's and 13's. My toes are up against the end and can feel the stitching in the front with my big an second toes. The rest of the shoe feels snug on my foot. The 13's are feel slipper like. However, I'm not sure if they will be too baggy after they break in. There's 1 cm from the end of my big to the tip of the shoe and not as snug around my ankle, heal and foot as the 12's. I've just been wearing them around the house for the last two days on and off and just can't decide which to keep and which to send back. I think the 12's will stretch out a little so my toes aren't pushed up against the front but I imagine I'll still feel the seams. Constructive opinions welcome.

I tried on the Moc3's as

I tried on the Moc3's as well. I also am in between sizes, the 11A fit good, but my big toe is touching the front, the 12A's too big, and feel very flobby. But from reading reviews this is a common issue with the Moc3's, if someone is in between sizes. I heard they stretch but not much. Some people shove newspaper at the end of the shoe and let it sit for few days to stretch out the toe box, I heard it works.

Hi.  I moved this thread to

Hi. I moved this thread to the Gear & Footwear forum, where it fits better. Hope you guys will find it there.

Without any indication of

Without any indication of where this thread is now, it's quite possible that they don't find it.

Regarding the Moc3; I thought

Regarding the Moc3; I thought about doing the wet rag thing but after much consideration I decided to go with the 13's. My big toe was pretty much even with the end the sole and stretching them would bring them over the sole, which would probably not be a good idea. It was difficult sending the 12's back. I finally wore the 13's last night on a long walk and again to work today (with Lightweight Injinji toe socks). They felt like I wasn't wearing any shoes at all. It was a bit of a distraction, albit a good distraction. Wearing the Injinji's felt like I was wearing my VFF's, without the stares and comments. Although I purchased these for work and casual wear when I just don't feel like getting the attention like I do with the VFF's, I plan to test them out running, maybe this weekend. Will report again.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7