uped the milage, and the pain. tofp just under last two toes.

ashley

Barefooters
Oct 6, 2011
folsom Louisiana
I recently increased my 6 mile run to an 8 mile run. I felt great untill I started to feel pain just underneath my last two toes on the top of my foot. I felt fine when I woke up this morning, untill I put pressure on my foot. It doesnt hurt to touch on the top or the bottom but when I put pressure on the bottome to stand or walk ( bending pressure is the worst) it hurts. I can tolerate it, but clearly running is out of the question till it clears up. Is this something I need to see a doctor about? I have R.A. so I generally tend to ignore pains, but this doesnt seem related. What is the best treatment? I was taking an easy jog so I was paying close attention to my form. Is there something I am missing, or was it just tmts. I've been running barefoot for a year now and this is my first expierience in pain like this. Thanks.

just got/getting over similar

just got/getting over similar problem. here are some things to check/try:

1. check along the outseide edge of your calf (peroneal muscles) for tight spots/trigger points. I found a bunch, rolled them with a rolling pin and the pain goes away.

2. if you think there is a little swelling, try putting cotton balls between your toes at night. This was the first thing that gave me any relief, and rolling the trigger points did the rest.

Thanks, that already made a

Thanks, that already made a difference. I put some heat on the calf and "rolled" it out. I can walk on it now with little pain. This right here is the reason I joined. I would have been lost without the help.

Ashley, Dr. Smelph already

Ashley,

Dr. Smelph already gave you some great advice, so I'm jut going to add one thing. There is a small muscle called the extensor digitorum brevis on top of your foot that you can gently work out with the rolling pin too. It is on the lateral side of the foot just in front of the ankle. If you extend your toes up while touching just in front of your ankle you will feel this muscle contract, it is pretty easy to find. When I get any TOFP it usually helps to roll out that muscle and the extensor tendons too. They can be sensitive so go easy.

A rolling pin may be the most useful and important tool ever created, besides a towel!

That's right! I didn't spend

That's right! I didn't spend 8 years at evil medical school to be called "mister"! ;)

Thanks doc! Glad to hear I wasn't steering someone wrong! (I would have felt terrible!) I may need to work in rolling those small muscles you mentioned too! Great stuff!

Thanks again. I took the last

Thanks again. I took the last few weeks off and decided to go for an easy jog this morning. I made a mile and a half,stopped, and now my foot is really hurting again. I've been trying to take care of myself properly, how long on average does it take something lke this to heal. Did I jump the gun on running again, or should I discuss this with my doctor?

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7