Unexpected Oww

Gidds

Barefooters
Aug 28, 2011
Not sure if this goes here or in Gear & Footwear. Mods move it if you think it needs it.
I have a brand new pair of Vivobarefoot Off Road Hi Hiking Boots!:D
(thanks bfinaz for the coupon code, wouldn't have them otherwise!:D)
They are beautifully made boots, I will write a review eventually.
I got them for cold & wet winter conditions, hunting, and really rough terrain.

I of course promptly put them on and walked 3+ miles yesterday afternoon, being very careful to monitor for hot spots, chafing, and blisters. None of these happened. Keep in mind that I can walk ~11 miles comfortably in Merrells and recently I have been walking up to 6 miles, with substantial amounts of it crushed gravel about golf ball sized, in VFFs with no ill effects (this is kind of a big deal for me because this is the first time in my life I have been able to hike as far as I want without pain).

I wear VFFs ~80% of the time with the other ~20% of my time being spent in huaraches, Merrell Pure and Pace Gloves, barefoot, or socks. I haven't worn mainstream shoes in over a year.
When I put the boots on I realized they were by far the most substantial pair of footwear I now own and are of course much stiffer and thicker soled than any of my other shoes. I clomped around the house a bit, sounding like a cart horse and feeling silly and weird then I took them outside and realized I wouldn't be sneaking up on as many deer as I do in the VFFs (I found five last night, three saw me first).

Interestingly the boots do actually have ground feel. They felt really weird for my walk but they didn't hurt me. When I got home and had been barefoot again for a few hours my toe joints felt like somebody'd been knocking on them with a little hammer (they are fine now) and this morning my hamstrings were really tight/stiff, although they are better now that I have been up and walking around and sitting on a few tennis balls. Why did my boots make me feel like this? Do I need to do some sort of reverse transition(I'd rather not)?

Gidds, I've found that depending on the footwear you may have to do a slight transition to them. For me, thicker non flexible shoes cause my feet a little bit of extra pain as well as if they have a stiff, tight fitting upper. Hopefully as you break these in they will get better for you, but not having seen these boots in person I can't say what about them is bothering you. It could be also that you have slightly changed your walking form in them which could be why your hamstrings are stiff and tight.

I was really thinking about the same... I mean using the discount and getting a pair of the hikers. The one hiking trip I took this year I tried VFF's and the rockiness was a little too much. I've been staring at those Vivo hikers for months and months but the reviews on em are pretty mixed compared to the rest of their minimalist line. I'll be looking forward to future updates on what you think of them. I missed out on the deal though, I was debating between Vivos or Unshoes (or both) since they were both on sale and was out of town near the end of the month and pretty much forgot about it and got neither. We're pretty similar to, I mean I've been minimal/bf for a little over a year, wearing VFF, Merrell, or huaraches. I do where regular stuff every once in a while though. But when it comes to regular footwear I dont have the usual issue most here have. I can wear em just fine. I've put on my old hiking boots, Vasque Breeze, and instantly feel like I can conquer a mountain. People talk about 'boat anchor' sneakers... I can strap on a pair of steel toed, steel plated, metatarsal guarded, kevlar lines boots that weigh several pounds each, and feel fine. Yeah I do notice the weight of the heavier work boots but it doesnt really bother me. Does feel good to get em off the feet at the end of a sun up to sundown day though! In light of that, and the somewhat bad experience with VFF on the trail, I was really thinking of just going back to boots on my longer hikes. But I am really curious about the Vivo boots.

*grumble*
I went for my hike in VFFs today, 7.76 miles, and now my ankle hurts. I swear it was the clomping around in the boots yesterday that set it off.:mad: Grrrrr. I guess I'll focus on cycling this week.
I'm not giving up yet though because they are awesome boots! How do I go about breaking in the boots? I've never had nice boots that needed breaking in before.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts