Too much Too soon, your horror stories....

Really started to get into running again in jan this year. Using merrell road gloves.
Not ran for few years due to injury. Achillies.
After three weeks calf strain I pushed it and my calf pulled. Like an elastic band. Hobbled home. Rested couple weeks. Took me next few months very carefully building it up. Each time I felt anything I walked.
Now enjoying running two to three miles with last quater barefoot.
Taking care rolling my calved with tube after and beforeveach run.
I feel that if I had taken time first then would gave been much better progress by now.
Enjoy..

when i first started, I was "minimal" rather than bf. I had been running ~40 miles per week in marshmallow shoes with inserts, so I thought I was fit.
Anyhow, I hadn't thought it all the way through, and I had run 1 mile full bf before I decided it was ok to go 4 miles in merrell "minimal" shoes at a nice pace for me. Felt like I was floating.
I was almost too sore to walk for the next two weeks.
After that, I went almost always full bare foot on pavement,but it still took me way longer than I think it might have if Ihadn't had that lingering calf soreness from the first arrogant outing.

Like Lee, what I thought was TMTS was more probably listening to a bad suggestion about not stretching and an ignorance of trigger points and massage therapy. Once I figured out these things my running has been very good so far. I found my limit of about 18 miles per week as noted above.

Yeah, I think there is a balance between experimentally testing one's limits and just going all out crazy with things that the body/feet are not conditioned to even attempt. You can't do the first without getting some uncomfortable feedback now and then, but you can mostly avoid the other by being somewhat moderate and gradual in increasing whatever is being increased. Don't be afraid of occasional skin abrasions, blisters, and sore muscles. Do avoid deep injuries, ripping, and tearing.

My worst injury was probably the big gash from a hidden rock slicing me while running in unexpectedly deep powdery dirt, so it wasn't TMTS. You can't predict everything!

What percentage will we find where TMTS took place in minshoes versus true barefoot? Just putting it out there,

What percentage will we find where TMTS took place in minshoes versus true barefoot? Just putting it out there,
Maybe that explains why I never had TMTS issues me going cold turkey and all.

Nah, when I transitioned, I "ran" every day. Actually, it was more of a jog at the start. I was also losing a lot of weight, and after years off from running, I started from 0 miles. I wasn't reading this forum regularly at the time. Took about a year or more, before I got up to 2 miles daily. Didn't start higher mileage until last summer, after 2 years, when I started reading this forum.

Don't really understand why people want to push things. What's the hurry?

So, by reading this forum, you can increase your mileage?! I LOVES it! :kiss:

Don't really understand why people want to push things. What's the hurry?

It's stupid... but it's the overwhelming desire to compete - with others but moreso with oneself.
It's the memory of what used to be - and the chance that it could be again. If I can make this transition - and it really does eliminate or greatly reduce injuries - I can be a runner again.... I want to be a runner again. I liked being a runner.

What's the hurry?

And also... isn't that just the difference between people? Some people are always in a hurry to obtain their goals - and that's FUN for them.... Some people aren't in a hurry for anything... and they like that....

ah but just hurrying to your goals can get you hurt easier. you'll likely ignore little niggles and wind up injured. it will take time but if you're patient you'll not only get there but go further than you imagined.

for me i never did any sports or activities. i started running in shoes and wasn't going anywhere so i bought some vff. no problems but tight calves because i didn't realize i had to let my heel touch to make my legs like springs. i bought huaraches about 4 months after and found out they don't work in mud so i ran bf. i ran fast and had my first ever runners high. i couldn't walk normal for 2 weeks after but could run without pain. tofp.

i think the following summer i overdid it on mileage and really aggravated my pf. i wound up walking limping to my car and didn't run for almost two months.

I ran TMTS on my first run. I was a runner before, running about 7 or 8 miles shod at a time. I read, to take it easy for the first while so simply halved my usual mileage... Lol, so my first run was 4 miles heel striking barefoot on a treadmill!! Yowsa! My ankle swelled up horribly and was roasting hot, my Achilles was stretched beyond comfort and my calf muscles were completely shot.
Honestly it took me about a week before I could walk normally, especially going down stairs! Oh and did I mention the blisters!? Owwww.
After doing some proper research and reading a comparison of barefoot running with weight lifting, (only use 2 muscles running shod, all 38ish of the muscles barefoot, so there's muscles you have never used and need to build up). So I dropped back to 0.5miles... It nearly killed me to stop after only half a mile but it was well worth it!! Honestly please don't over do it!

Probably a lot ! My horror story is with my VFF...

I straight away went for a 10km run, after a few trials on grass (with VFF), which I thought were very promising. I ended up with a support boot for a week (TOTF pain), and couldn't run for 2 months.

That was in 2010....I then decided to try it out completely bare, and never looked back....

As TJ states you cannot do TMTS when S2G

My horror story sounds pretty familiar. Started our jogging barefoot, didn't know anything about BF or the BRS. I just went for a short jog when the surf was crap. Did a little bit of research, bought fivefingers, slowly ramped up to 8km runs with no pain whatsoever. My calves and feet blew up with no warning one week and I couldn't run more than 500m without serious TOFP.

Went to a physiotherapist, who tried some dry needling between the toes. Here's where it gets weird. She must have hit a nerve or something, because for the next month I couldn't point my toes without a severe stabbing pain right on the end of one of my toes. I tried to go for a swim, and it hurt so bad I had to quit.

Her second guess was calves, and that got me on the road to recovery, with some help from the calf rolling lobby here at the BRS.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon