TOFP in XC (I'm blaming sprinting)

Danjo

Barefooters
Sep 6, 2010
So I am actually managing to run high school Cross-Country this year (my senior year). Our state mandates footwear for races, so I've been running in my huaraches, and will start running in my zems whenever the heck they get here. In case you don't know I've been running barefoot since about last july, however I had only done a few runs with any kind of footwear during this time. I really should have started running in my huaraches earlier, but I wasn't originally plannng on re-joining the team. I got in maybe 4 runs with huaraches before our season started, so needless to say my first week was a little rough on my calves.

I got over that though, and I can now run pretty comfortably, though a lot of small ups and downs still give me some trouble. The problem I'm having now is TOFP. Normally we associate this with TMTS, but like I said I've been running barefoot for over a year (with a ten miler and Mt. Elbert under my belt, I might add) so this is not a matter of lacking the proper muscles. I'm assuming its a form issue, but I'm not sure what it is, as it seems to mostly hurt afterward, not durning, and it doesn't change much from huaraches to barefoot.

At present I'm blaming it on sprinting, because I can't figure out any way to properly reach my top speed while maintaining a smooth, soft landing form. From 85% effort and upward I pound, and theres seems to be nothing I can do about it. Does anyone know if its possible to reach top speed barefoot without hurting yourself? (For the record, I have only done these barefoot, and I'm still hurting myself.)

I'm trying to back off on intensity and distance, but do you think I'll be able to bring it back up by the end of the season?

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts