Things I noticed from tonight's run...

peacekaren

Barefooters
May 7, 2010
Tonight I went for my first work-out at the local Y. I took a yoga class (very nice) and then went for a BF run on the indoor track. Here are a few things I noticed....

1) BF running after a full yoga class feels so wonderful that I wish I could somehow always schedule a full hour of yoga before every run! I felt so light and free. I'm sure all the hip openers during yoga helped a lot with my running form tonight.

2) I'm going with the "don't ask, don't tell" policy for BFR at the Y and it seemed to work well enough tonight. At least 2 Y employees saw me running on the track and didn't have anything to say. They were busy with other things so they may not have noticed my choice in (lack of) footwear, but I still consider that a success.

3) The indoor track feels like butter! It was easily the best man-made surface on which I've ever run. It's a smooth painted concrete and it almost feels like running on the painted center line of a smooth road, only better.

4) Sadly, one mile is my limit on that track. It's a very short loop. 15 laps = 1 mile. After 15 laps in the same direction around that tight circle my right hip started to complain. Oh, if only it were a figure 8 instead of a loop, then I'd have a great running option for when it's too cold/wet or dark to run outside. (Well, that is until #2 above no longer holds out for me.)

5) Somehow, other folks seem less amazed seeing someone running barefoot indoors. Perhaps it's because there's no worry of glass, needles, dog poo or whatever other hazards they imagine. Whatever it is, I didn't get a single look or comment from anyone else on the track (which is good since keeping a low profile will help with #2 above).

Peace,

Karen

Sounds lovely.

Sounds lovely.

Excellent work...secret

Excellent work...secret undercover agent Karen! Lol.

In college I was so in love with track running in the winter, but I did have to switch it up or I'd get a shin splint on the side of my body on the inside of the track (back in shod days...)

Good for you Karen, I too run

Good for you Karen, I too run on the indoor track(a little longer-9.4 laps = 1 mi) during winter and it is exactly the same surface you are describing but I don't like it that well, I think it is too smooth( I should count my blessings that I have somewhere to run BF). Have fun.

You could always pull a

You could always pull a typical distance runner move and just start going around the track backwards. Haha, the sprinters always hate it when we start doing our speed work and we run back and forth instead of just in one direction around. Then again that might get you kicked out at the Y. A figure 8 track would be very interesting, you'd have to watch out not to run into people at the center.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7