Suspected capsulitis of 2nd MPJ

etreas

Chapter Presidents
Aug 28, 2012
San Diego, CA
emiliereas.com
For the past week I've been dealing with what I now suspect is capsulitis of my 2nd metatarsal-phalyngeal joint (MPJ). For a little background, I'm a distance runner (marathons mostly) who typically runs in minimalist shoes or racing flats. I've been walking barefoot for the past 1.5 years and over the past couple months have been supplementing my shod running with short barefoot runs (3-4 miles).

2 weeks ago I began to notice some mild achiness along my 1st metatarsal, and decided to play it safe and temporarily cut out the barefoot running. One week later, during an 11-mile shod run I felt some mild numbness in my second toe and tension along the second metatarsal. The following day after a short walk I found myself in excruciating pain and unable to walk. An x-ray did not show signs of a fracture, but I understand a stress fracture may not appear for days or weeks. For the past week, it's been quite painful to walk, particularly on hard surfaces or barefoot. Running is out of the question. The pain is located around the top and bottom of the 2nd MPJ, sometimes radiates along the toe or metatarsal, and is painful to the touch with adequate pressure. There is extensive swelling and clear inflammation around the joint. I hate to self-diagnose, but after a lot of independent research, my symptoms most closely match capsulitis.

Assuming this is the issue, what is the best treatment? Conventional advice includes NSAIDS and orthotics / metatarsal pads. However, I'm always hesitant to take anti-inflammatories, as I understand they can sometimes interfere with body's natural healing processes. And being a lifestyle barefooter, it's very difficult for me to return to overly restrictive shoes. Any advice from the docs is much appreciated!

Hi Etreas -

Hopefully I can be of some assistance with your foot pain. It is of course difficult to know exactly what is going on with your foot without examining you - however I will do my best!

Based off of the symptoms you are describing I would see a Podiatrist for a follow up Xray. Like you said, it can take a week or so for a stress fracture to appear in an Xray - so I always have patients return for additional images.

If it is in fact a stress fracture then that treatment course would be a camwalker and possible bone stimulator for approximately 6 weeks. It is common to get stress fractures in the neck of the metatarsal so you may be in fact confusing this with the MPJ.

However if it is in fact 2nd MPJ capsulitis - then you will want to control the inflammation and minimize the stress on that joint. I do recommend some sort of anti-inflammatory treatment - but instead of oral I like topical such as Voltaren gel. To minimize the stress on the joint you can buddy tape the 2nd digit to the 3rd digit which reduces the stress on that one joint.

If you see a Podiatrist, they may recommend a steroid injection for the capsulitis - which is a good option as well and has minimal side effects if you do one injection.

But I recommend getting that repeat Xray!

Good luck!

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Hi Emily,

Thanks so much for the thorough response. To follow-up, I got a second X-ray today which confirmed my fears ... I have a stress fracture at the distal end of my 2nd metatarsal. I am in a boot and have an Exogen bone stimulator that I plan to use religiously. I suspect it's now just a waiting game, but I welcome any additional advice on recovery or how / when to safely return to running.

Thanks!
Emilie

Ha ha ... the barefoot community is apparently a very small world! Here's that great article on stress fractures I mentioned before. It's long, but she discusses everything, including causes, recovery, bone stimulators and barefoot running.
http://camilleherron.com/2011/05/11/overcoming-stress-fractures/

If you end up going for the Exogen, check out this buying advice to make sure you don't get scammed:
http://reviews.ebay.com/Exogen-4000-Bone-Healer-Buying-Guide?ugid=10000000019355500

One more thought ... if you're willing to dish out some cash to keep running safely through the fracture, you might want to track down an Alter-G anti-gravity treadmill. http://www.alterg.com/ I've run on them through previous injuries and it's the only thing that keeps me sane!

Let me know if you have any other great insights and keep me posted on your progress. Looks like we'll be going through this together ;)

Hi Emily,

Thanks so much for the thorough response. To follow-up, I got a second X-ray today which confirmed my fears ... I have a stress fracture at the distal end of my 2nd metatarsal. I am in a boot and have an Exogen bone stimulator that I plan to use religiously. I suspect it's now just a waiting game, but I welcome any additional advice on recovery or how / when to safely return to running.

Thanks!
Emilie

Quick recovery Emilie! That's good you have a bone stimulator - I give that to all my patients too.

I'd also take Vit D3 and K2 as they increase calcium deposition into the bones!

Wow thanks for all the great info! I had a Google around for bone stimulators, and anti-gravity treadmills. Looks like these are a bit thin on the ground here in Australia. I did manage to find a fracture clinic nearby, so I'll give them a call through the week to see if they have anything they can loan me.

Reactions: Dr Emily Splichal

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7