Stretching?

science, by it's own accord,

science, by it's own accord, is very limited. yoga has been around for thousands of years. i don't know them personally but do know my native american ancestors had stretches they performed.

Mike

Joshh wrote:Hey Doug, what's

Joshh said:
Hey Doug, what's a Resistance Runner?

I was being a pain. These are Sketchers' Resistance Runners. It's basically the anti-BFR.

The ITB, since it is not a

The ITB, since it is not a muscle can be stretch any time be either before, during, and/or after a run...or just because...according to the pros.

Haha, yeah those things are

Haha, yeah those things are really something. "Train harder in less time," is one of the sales pitches. Only $130 too, what a deal. :sick:

Barefoot Dama, thanks for

Barefoot Dama, thanks for that. I saw a youtube comment saying exactly that. Really good to know because it means that you can stretch it without worry. Thanks again, that's huge for me.:)

I was talking to an ER doctor

I was talking to an ER doctor at the gym, and he said the most common weekend warrior injury is torn achilles tendons. He said that you have to warm up before stressing the achilles especially as we age. I've experienced some achilles injuries, but now I don't stretch them or stress them until I'm warm.

Obviously I'm not saying that this is the answer (or even AN answer!) to the before/during/after stretching question, but just another data point. I always forget that my body is changing as it ages until I damage something...

--Kurt

The paleo-man comments are

The paleo-man comments are indeed interesting, but limited since we haven't the ability to observe them - only what we would deem "primitive" cultures. Not sure it is a valid ontological argument. I do get a kick, however, observing my 2 year old poodle/cavalier spaniel mix. When she comes out of the crate in the morning, she stetches backward, then forward, then crawls around on her belly a little bit. Then I open the back door and she takes off at top speed and runs a couple of wicked laps around the back yard. She, at least, likes to stretch cold muscles and then hit the gas :).

I have always stretched

I have always stretched before runs until last fall when I read articles talking about the evils of stretching cold muscles before a run. In august I ran the Annapolis 10 miler, no pre race stretch and tore my Achilles. Coincidence? maybe.

After the long and painful healing I headed to Physical Therapy and the first thing she did was apply 10 minutes of heat then start stretching all the muscles and tendons in the bad leg. I asked her about stretching and basically I was told that stretching the tendons and muscles prepares them for the run. Heat them or warm them first with a light activity like slow runs or walking. She used the analogy of a cat. Disclaimer: I dislike cats, they stink and give me hives but I have watched them. Ever notice before a cat starts a hunt it will stretch every muscle in strange and contorted ways. This gives it the flexibility to act and react without restriction or injury. Dogs too will stretch often. I think stretching is a very natural activity and I imagine the Kalahari people stretched as did many cultures. The refference to Yoga is a good one, we have been stretching for a long time. When I am loose and limber, I feel better, I feel younger.

I stretch a lot now. And sometimes cold. But usually I will stretch just enough before a run to get loose and pull out any tightness without pain, then go warm up for 1/2 mile and do a good stretch before really hitting it hard. I think it makes sense and I have found that serious stretching of the calf and hamstrings almost eliminates most of my back pain, another bonus!

I quit stretching several

I quit stretching several years ago and was fine. No problems. But for the last year, it seems as though I'm always getting some type of groin pull that will take forever to go away (probably because I don't rest long enough). This winter I'm battling another pull in my adductor. I believe it's from running in the stupid snow and not being able to get any traction.

I've decided that I'm simply getting to the age where not stretching might not be smart for me. I'm 44 and it seems as though I get injured more easily and when I do, I don't spring back quickly. I'm currently resting from my injury and trying to figure a good stretching regime. Anyone have a good routine?

I dont stretch anymore. The

I dont stretch anymore. The only time I stretch is when I am forced to because I am in the Army. And they have changed the way that they stretch. Before we start running we do "dynamic stretching". It involves moving and increasing your heart rate (such as butt kicks, high knees, karaokes, short sprints of increasing speed, and some other Army variations). No longer do we do static or traditional stretching (hold for a position for a certain amount of time etc..). After we run we do variations of traditional stretching, ex. grab your foot with your hand and stretch your thigh for about 3-5 seconds, take a few steps and stretch the other one, going a distance of about 40-50 feet.

I think stretching should

I think stretching should probably be along the same lines as running BF. If your body needs a stretch - stretch it. If you are stretching and it hurts (and not in a good way), then stop. I stretch here and there, but not a routine. Sometimes after my run, sometimes just in the middle of the day or when I first wake up, but it is never anything routine or major. Although sometimes I will stretch for a little bit of time after working with the foam roller.

Joseph, thanks for your input

Joseph, thanks for your input regarding stretching after the foam roller. I'm still battling a tight IT band and just got a foam roller about a week ago. Seems to be helping having added it to my current stretch.

Hi,I always stretch and walk

Hi,

I always stretch and walk about before and stretch for at least 15-20 minimum, after runs even if I was only gone 5 minutes.

Even with this I found it distressing to see running remove most of the supplety I spent years building up at kickboxing (so its a good job I don't do that much any more…). According to a triathlete mate (I'm not sure he's the most credible guy) cycling and running are the worst sports for your muscles to build in a way that limits flexability (especially in the groin). Having said that, I'm not sure we evolved to jump around doing the splits and kicking apples off of Giraffes' heads.

I figure it can't hurt, and it prevents me getting knotted muscles, and cramps when I then have to sit all day after my run (I really love my job, or I wouldn't hack all that sitting down).

Luke

I've been having some

I've been having some problems with my achilles and IT band lately. I took a break from BF, hired a professional coach who specializes in barefoot/minimalist running and strength training. What I found out is that, for me, I'm a tight and inflexible mess, which doesn't bode well for me when I run. I now have a stretching regimen that I do throughout my day, everyday, 2 minutes at a time and as many as 5 times a day. For me this has been monumental. I can actually wake up in the morning and walk! Before, my first steps out of bed were pretty painful. Now, I can walk normally right out of bed in the morning.

I find myself stretching all the time, now. With the kids at the park, against the kitchen cabinets while cooking and on the stairs in my house. Its made a huge difference for me. My flexibility and range of motion is definitely improving.

Hey PB.  I think I'm

Hey PB. I think I'm stretching the gluteus medius when I do this stretch . It feels like it's doing a lot of good and I have been feeling improvement with my IT band. I really like it because I do it on my kitchen counter like the guy in the vid. I have a book I keep nearby and just force myself to take a little time out, do the stretch and read a couple of pages.

Zap, that's awesome about your new found suppleness. It gets right back to what was said earlier in this thread about how our natural state is surely to be stretching and using various muscle groups far more than what we have "evolved" to today.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon