Stop Stretching! By Dr. Stephen Gangemi, a.k.a., The Sock Doc

I read this post and the

I read this post and the anti-stretching article a couple days ago and tried my first no-stretch run today. Normally, after a short run my calfs tighten up and my knees and achilles tendons start to ache. Not today! I'm a believer. Thanks doc!

Makes sense, though. I've been lifting weights for years and I virtually never stretch and the only injury I had was due to me being stupid, not anything to do with flexibility. I've spoken to a number of weight lifters who are completely against stretching, but I don't think I've seen any runners that don't stretch at one point or another. I wonder why that is.

Fresh, ajw!  Fresh!  Ha. 

Fresh, ajw! Fresh! Ha.
embaressed_smile.gif

I was treated by a new-to-me

I was treated by a new-to-me ART / chiro the other day ... and, once again, a recommendation was calf stretches to improve foot dorsiflexion. ARGH!

I *think* I would like improved dorsiflexion... a bit more bend w/less calf strain and perhaps a shot at being able to squat without toppling backwards?

So what can I do?

I use the foam roller to work out kinks. I do ankle mobility exercises. I so PNF-type stuff.

What else?

That's unfortunate that the

That's unfortunate that the ART doc told you that, especially since they're supposed to be well skilled in muscle work. Improve your dorsiflexion by correcting the tightness in your calf muscles - look for trigger points there and work them out. Your chiro/ART doc should have done this :(

I think some of the best exercises to improve core and being able to do a full squat and remain stable are MovNat type skills as well as kettlebell exercises. If you haven't read my posts over at the MovNat site, check them out. I will also be a guest instructor at one of their camps, July 2012, in West Virginia.

For the record, the ARTs did

For the record, the ARTs did work on my calves (so they aren't that bad!). I asked what I should be doing on my own... rolling & stretching.

Thanks for the MovNat point-out. I haven't gotten to your posts yet... got sidetracked by the Primal Blueprint 21-Day book - perfect timing, meshes nicely with a bunch of things I've been mulling over recently!
smile.png

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7