Stiff feet

Spinningwoman

Barefooters
May 23, 2013
Just to make sure I'm not ignoring something I shouldn't... I'm about 2 months in with being barefoot or wearing minimal shoes now, being still very careful with the running (not 2 days running, stopping when I get tired etc and very short distances, barefoot except for xeros on gravel paths).

I don't get any pain, but my feet do seem to stiffen up whenever I'm not moving for a while. They loosen up within a few steps, but the first ten steps or so in the morning are a hobble, and the same if I've been sitting or driving for an hour or so. It doesn't seem any better or worse on running/non running days, even after a two or three day break. Going on tiptoe and down again to kind of run the joints through seems to fix it OK. I'm assuming it is just because even just walking barefoot/minimalist is a workout for my feet at this point. I'm using the tiger tail roller and a golf ball for my feet, and my impression is that that helps.

Ditto. I went through the "tight, achy feet in the morning" phase for the first few months of transition. Eventually, your feet finish remodeling themselves and you won't get that anymore. Pain that persists even after you've warmed up (especially along the tops of your feet) or sharp, burning pain is something that you need to watch out for and is going to feel very different.

I'm stiff a lot of mornings for a couple of years now, in my feet and generally. It doesn't seem to be directly correlated to what activity I have done the previous day. No pain and after just a few steps and some gentle, classic early morning yawn stretching, it is gone. I only run 3 times a week. I am physically active most days, too, so it's not like it's something new to my body. I am barefoot almost exclusively for the last year, excepting very cold runs outside, and I was barefoot a lot for a couple of years before that, so my feet should certainly have adapted by now. Just FYI. I figure the barefoot running allowed me to run more at the same time of life that my body was adjusting to certain aging factors, so it has been hard to differentiate.

Now that I think about it, I don't notice this much anymore, and I definitely used to feel a bit stiff when starting. I think it passes as your feet get used to things.

It does go away with more BFR experience.

I hate to go against the grain here, but sounds like you're developing plantar fasciitis. Please post this in the Ask the Docs forum too. Otherwise, before you take that first step after being idle, stretch your feet and your toes, get them warmed up before you step, and if you can, sleep with some night splints. Night splints will keep you from reinjuring the fascia with each first step of the morning. The reason it is so difficult to heal from PF is because the fascia gets reinjured all over again each time you take a step after the fascia has been cold for awhile. I hope it's not PF and just growing pains, but it's better to be safe than sorry. Please ask the docs. :doctor:

Reactions: Darkand
Your complaint of "first step" pain is common with PF.

This is the "typical" location for pain, but it can radiate in either direction:

Plantar-Fasciitis.bmp

I would think that PF would persist a bit longer in the AM. I'm with the rest of the crew (not with Ms. Doom&Gloom, NoDarkCloudButLightningLurksCloseBy) who found such stiff and soreness as part of our development process. I think it's a function of bones growing stronger.

Refer it to "Ask the Docs" by all means.

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
Hey! I said I hope it's just growing pains, but it's better to be safe than sorry and talk to a doc...maybe even see one if the pain persists.

Sounds like you are getting the kinks out? :cyclops:

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7